breakpoint and scite

Bret Pettichord

I often teach ruby to people and usually use scite to do this. It's quick
and easy and F5 is very convenient. I also use scite when i am working on
lab machines. (Otherwise I use eclipse when i can.)

When i use breakpoint with a script that i am running from scite using F5,
the irb session shows up in the scite sidebar. I can type at this prompt,
and it works, but backspaces and paste don't register. So i have to be a
really good typist. (Don't register means that the text looks right, but
then i get an error from IRB that shows that it didn't get the pasted text
and did get the text i thought had backspaced away.)

I realize i can get this to work running from a command shell.

But is there a way i can get breakpoint to work in scite?

(BTW, if i run IRB from within SCITE, i get the same problem plus whatever
i typed is echo'd. So '1+1' displays as '11++11', although i still get a
return value of 2. This is a problem that i care less about.)

Bret

_____________________
Bret Pettichord
www.pettichord.com

Florian Groß

Bret said:
I often teach ruby to people and usually use scite to do this. It's
quick and easy and F5 is very convenient. I also use scite when i am
working on lab machines. (Otherwise I use eclipse when i can.)

When i use breakpoint with a script that i am running from scite using
F5, the irb session shows up in the scite sidebar. I can type at this
prompt, and it works, but backspaces and paste don't register. So i have
to be a really good typist. (Don't register means that the text looks
right, but then i get an error from IRB that shows that it didn't get
the pasted text and did get the text i thought had backspaced away.)

This is no fix, but could solve your trouble anyway: I'm working a GUI
front end for ruby-breakpoint which will probably be launchable by doing
breakpoint() in the future.

Here's an early screenshot:

* http://flgr.dyndns.org/highlights-all-the-way.png

Thoughts?