    firewall so shouldn't be that... ;)

    Anyone run into similar problems?

    /Robert

    Robert Feldt, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Hello Robert,

    nice to hear, that you are using the course. In my course there was one person with a windows system, and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text, when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client. cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.

    Regards,

    Brian

    --
    Brian Schröder
    http://www.brian-schroeder.de/

    Brian Schröder, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Brian Schröder ha scritto:
    > Hello Robert,
    >
    > nice to hear, that you are using the course.
    > In my course there was one person with a windows system,
    > and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text,
    > when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client.
    > cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Brian

    isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
    (basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

    gabriele renzi, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Robert Feldt

    Robert Feldt Guest

    gabriele renzi wrote:

    > Brian Schröder ha scritto:
    >
    >> Hello Robert,
    >>
    >> nice to hear, that you are using the course.

    > > In my course there was one person with a windows system,
    > > and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text,
    > > when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client.
    > > cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.

    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Brian

    > isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
    > (basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

    Yep, that's it. Thanks to both of you for your answer.

    Brian: Yes, I used parts I and III of your slides and provided pointers
    to some other parts. Great material. I will send an url to this list
    when I've cleaned up the info I used.

    Thanks,

    Robert

    Robert Feldt, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Robert Feldt

    Mark Hubbart Guest

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:33:44 +0900, gabriele renzi
    <> wrote:
    > Brian Schröder ha scritto:
    >

    > > Hello Robert,
    > >
    > > nice to hear, that you are using the course.
    > > In my course there was one person with a windows system,
    > > and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text,
    > > when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client.
    > > cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Brian

    > isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
    > (basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

    This may be a dumb question, but if it's blocking IO that's the
    problem, wouldn't IO#readpartial work, since it always returns
    immediately?

    hth,
    Mark

    Mark Hubbart, Nov 5, 2004