Brian Schroeders chat example on windows

Robert Feldt

Hi again,

Has anyone been able to run the chat example from Brian Schroeders "A
Ruby a day" course on Windows (latest one-click)? My students say it
does not work (no info is communicated over the socket) while when I run
it on linux it works fine. They say they already tried disabling the
firewall so shouldn't be that... ;)

Anyone run into similar problems?

/Robert

Brian Schröder

Hello Robert,

nice to hear, that you are using the course. In my course there was one person with a windows system, and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text, when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client. cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.

Regards,

Brian

gabriele renzi

Brian Schröder ha scritto:
Hello Robert,

nice to hear, that you are using the course.
In my course there was one person with a windows system,
and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text,
when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client.
cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.

Regards,

Brian

isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
(basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

Robert Feldt

gabriele said:
Brian Schröder ha scritto:

isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
(basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).
Yep, that's it. Thanks to both of you for your answer.

Brian: Yes, I used parts I and III of your slides and provided pointers
to some other parts. Great material. I will send an url to this list
when I've cleaned up the info I used.

Thanks,

Robert

Mark Hubbart

Brian Schröder ha scritto:

isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
(basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

This may be a dumb question, but if it's blocking IO that's the
problem, wouldn't IO#readpartial work, since it always returns
immediately?

hth,
Mark