Bridge: Ruby to Python communication

digitalorganics

Hello all. I want a ruby and a python module to be able to communicate
with each other, access classes, instances and the like. Is there a
bridge for this? I'm aware of rupy, but the documentation seems rather
inadequate for the uninitiated. Are there other libraries/bridges or
maybe a rupy tutorial? Thank you.

vasudevram

Hello all. I want a ruby and a python module to be able to communicate
with each other, access classes, instances and the like. Is there a
bridge for this? I'm aware of rupy, but the documentation seems rather
inadequate for the uninitiated. Are there other libraries/bridges or
maybe a rupy tutorial? Thank you.

Hi,

Don't know if there is a specific Ruby/Python bridge, but one way that
will work for some needs is to use XML-RPC. Its not very difficult to
understand and to program. XML-RPC is a lightweight distributed
computing method, much simpler than say, CORBA. Also has less features,
but may suffice for your needs. It has support for many languages and,
as long as the needed libraries are there for your language, you can
use any language for the client and any language for the server. I know
for sure that XML-RPC supports Python and have used it with Python
myself. Check out http://xmlrpc.com (and also Google for more resources
on this topic) to learn more, download source code examples, and to
check if there is Ruby support for it.

HTH
Vasudev Ram
Independent software consultant
http://www.geocities.com/vasudevram
PDF conversion tools: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf

Michel Claveau

Hi!

For me, like PHP (message of 11h.35) :

Only in Windows, I can call Ruby (more exactly Ruby-script) from
Python.
I can, also, call, from Python, Ruby-defined-functions, like a method
of a Python-class.

It's a combination of Active-scripting & dynamic method add to a class.

It's run OK with : Ruby-script, Perl-script, PHPscript, VBscript,
Jscript.

digitalorganics

I'll check that out, thanks!