broad-based question

JJ_377

I need to create a methodology that sends out emails at certain times
automatically (ex. 7 days after a record is created in a database
table, and every 7 days thereafter...)

I am using an ASP.NET front with SQL Server 2000 as the data store.

My first thought was to use a third-party scheduling software program
that would fire a .NET utility, (I have used a similar methodoly before
with VB6) but I have been prohibited from using this.

What other options are there? I am not at all familiar with the parts
of SQL Server that may help me in this regard...

Thank you very much.

Jules

Eliyahu Goldin

Jules,

SQL Server has a job scheduler. You might want to investigate whether it
suits you. What is the role of ASP.NET in the project? Setting up the
schedule over the web?

Eliyahu

Lau Lei Cheong

The "Normal" way for doing this would be to create a Windows service that'll
get record from SQL and email the people.

With .NET this won't be very difficult.

Scott Allen

You can always write a little console applicaiton that produces an
..exe file. You can schedule the .exe with Windows task scheduler to
run every day (see Scheduled Tasks in the control panel). The exe can
query the database to see what emails need to be sent.

JJ_377

Thank you. The role of ASP.NET in my project is to collect user
information over the web and update a database (SQL). As to the
schedule I will run stored procedures that find records that meet the
criteria for sending an email to the user (as in my example, 7 days
after they submitted their information and every 7 days after that...)
Thanks again!

JJ_377

Thank you. The role of ASP.NET in my project is to collect user
information over the web and update a database (SQL). As to the
schedule I will run stored procedures that find records that meet the
criteria for sending an email to the user (as in my example, 7 days
after they submitted their information and every 7 days after that...)
Thanks again!

JJ_377

Thank you all for your answers as to how in general to go about this. I
am very appreciative.
J.