Broken characters from IIS 5 to IIS 6

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Stuart Newton, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. We have just migrated a pile of ASP-driven content-managed websites
    from Win2000/SQL7 to Win2003/SQL2000 and noticed that, on some of
    them, certain characters such as the pound sign (£), 66..99 "curly
    quotes" and curly apostrophes were appearing as several characters in
    the HTML output unless Internet Explorer was forced into "View ->
    Encoding -> Unicode"

    For example, a £ appeared as "[A-grave]£" and a curly apostrophe as
    something with a [TM] in the middle of it.

    After much investigation into Unicode, code pages and text vs ntext
    command parameters, it turned out to be something very odd with the
    source code.

    The ASP script is made up of several included ASP files, most
    containing a class definition or simple constants.

    We found that when one particular include file was removed, characters
    appeared as intended.

    All the code was stripped from this include file and still its
    inclusion caused characters to appear incorrectly.

    Eventually, we noticed the "empty" ASP file was in fact 3 bytes long
    and opening it up in DOS Edit showed three symbolic characters in the
    file [http://www.idaho.uk.net/20040217/funnychars.gif]. Creating a new
    text file, copying the code over and replacing the original file
    solved the problem of characters wrongly displaying.

    These characters were not visible in Notepad, nor any other editor we
    tried. We haven't a clue where they came from originally.

    What do these characters mean and how can they mess up the rendering
    of the page?

    Stuart Newton
    Idaho Technology Limited
    Manchester, UK