Broken Gem installation under OS X 10.5..

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Marc Hoeppner, Jul 17, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    and sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find a good solution
    for the following problem yet...

    I can't get some of my gems to work and I know there has been trouble
    with this and Leopard before - but first things first:

    I have ruby, rails and rubygems installed on my Mac, running 10.5.
    Previously, I had troubles since for ruby was also installed via
    MacPorts (I am sure I had a reason for that...) - so ruby is located
    both in /usr/local/bin and /opt/local/bin.

    'which ruby' shows that '/usr/local/bin is used, so that's fine

    'gem environment' shows
    RubyGems Environment:
    - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.1.1
    - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [universal-darwin8.0]
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby

    and lo and behold, that's were I find the gem that I can't get to work.

    However, if I run a script requiring that gem, it returns the following
    message:

    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- ensembl-api (LoadError)
    from
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    `require'

    I am not too familier with the exact folder structure that ruby uses,
    but something is fishy here regardless.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    /Marc

    Marc Hoeppner, Jul 17, 2008

  2. Marc Hoeppner

    matt neuburg Guest

    Marc Hoeppner <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > and sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find a good solution
    > for the following problem yet...
    >
    > I can't get some of my gems to work and I know there has been trouble
    > with this and Leopard before - but first things first:
    >
    > I have ruby, rails and rubygems installed on my Mac, running 10.5.
    > Previously, I had troubles since for ruby was also installed via
    > MacPorts (I am sure I had a reason for that...) - so ruby is located
    > both in /usr/local/bin and /opt/local/bin.
    >
    > 'which ruby' shows that '/usr/local/bin is used, so that's fine
    >
    > 'gem environment' shows
    > RubyGems Environment:
    > - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.1.1
    > - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [universal-darwin8.0]
    > - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    > - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby
    >
    > and lo and behold, that's were I find the gem that I can't get to work.

    Don't know if this will be any help, but here's mine, using the standard
    ruby that is present on Leopard already:

    - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.2.0
    - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114)
    [universal-darwin9.0]
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
    - RUBY EXECUTABLE:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
    - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
    - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - universal-darwin-9
    - GEM PATHS:
    - /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
    -
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems
    /1.8

    m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = , http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-customizing.html

    matt neuburg, Jul 17, 2008

  3. Marc Hoeppner

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jul 16, 2008, at 23:14 , Marc Hoeppner wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > and sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find a good
    > solution
    > for the following problem yet...
    >
    > I can't get some of my gems to work and I know there has been trouble
    > with this and Leopard before - but first things first:
    >
    > I have ruby, rails and rubygems installed on my Mac, running 10.5.
    > Previously, I had troubles since for ruby was also installed via
    > MacPorts (I am sure I had a reason for that...) - so ruby is located
    > both in /usr/local/bin and /opt/local/bin.

    and the standard one in /usr/bin ? Or did you remove that? You might
    want to consolidate.

    > However, if I run a script requiring that gem, it returns the
    > following
    > message:
    >
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    > `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- ensembl-api
    > (LoadError)
    > from
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    > `require'

    lucky for you I have every gem sitting on my hard drive in
    tarballs... :)

    you're requiring the gem name. require is still just require in ruby,
    it loads files:

    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/activerecord.rb
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/project.rb
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/slice.rb
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/transcript.rb
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/transform.rb
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/db_connection.rb
    ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl.rb

    so you probably want:

    require "ensembl"

    Ryan Davis, Jul 17, 2008