Broken Gem installation under OS X 10.5..

Marc Hoeppner

Hi,

and sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find a good solution
for the following problem yet...

I can't get some of my gems to work and I know there has been trouble
with this and Leopard before - but first things first:

I have ruby, rails and rubygems installed on my Mac, running 10.5.
Previously, I had troubles since for ruby was also installed via
MacPorts (I am sure I had a reason for that...) - so ruby is located
both in /usr/local/bin and /opt/local/bin.

'which ruby' shows that '/usr/local/bin is used, so that's fine

'gem environment' shows
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.1.1
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [universal-darwin8.0]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby

and lo and behold, that's were I find the gem that I can't get to work.

However, if I run a script requiring that gem, it returns the following
message:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- ensembl-api (LoadError)
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'

I am not too familier with the exact folder structure that ruby uses,
but something is fishy here regardless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

/Marc

matt neuburg

Marc Hoeppner said:
[...]

Don't know if this will be any help, but here's mine, using the standard
ruby that is present on Leopard already:

- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.2.0
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114)
[universal-darwin9.0]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- universal-darwin-9
- GEM PATHS:
- /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8
-
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems
/1.8

m.

Ryan Davis

Hi,

and sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find a good
solution
for the following problem yet...

I can't get some of my gems to work and I know there has been trouble
with this and Leopard before - but first things first:

I have ruby, rails and rubygems installed on my Mac, running 10.5.
Previously, I had troubles since for ruby was also installed via
MacPorts (I am sure I had a reason for that...) - so ruby is located
both in /usr/local/bin and /opt/local/bin.

and the standard one in /usr/bin ? Or did you remove that? You might
want to consolidate.
However, if I run a script requiring that gem, it returns the
following
message:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- ensembl-api
(LoadError)
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`require'

lucky for you I have every gem sitting on my hard drive in
tarballs... :)

you're requiring the gem name. require is still just require in ruby,
it loads files:

ensembl-api-0.9/lib/
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/activerecord.rb
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/project.rb
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/slice.rb
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/transcript.rb
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/core/transform.rb
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl/db_connection.rb
ensembl-api-0.9/lib/ensembl.rb

so you probably want:

require "ensembl"