    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
    Tim Slattery, May 10, 2007

  2. On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:11:25 -0400, Tim Slattery wrote:
    > My webapp is generating "Broken Pipe" errors
    > (java.net.SocketException). I can't figure out what "broken pipe"
    > means. I've tried Google. Can somebody translate this for me?
    >
    > FWIW: the exception occurs while evaluating a Struts <logic:iterate>
    > group in a JSP page.

    It means that you've attempted to write to a file descriptor (probably
    through an OutputStream or similar ), but the reader at the remote end
    of the connection (pipe or socket, etc) has closed his corresponding
    descriptor.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, May 11, 2007

  3. Hi!

    Thus spake Gordon Beaton on 05/11/2007 09:02 AM:
    > It means that you've attempted to write to a file descriptor (probably
    > through an OutputStream or similar ), but the reader at the remote end
    > of the connection (pipe or socket, etc) has closed his corresponding
    > descriptor.

    In this special case, it could mean that the underlaying socket was
    closed by the client prematurely. IIRC, these errors often occur,
    when a servlet sends a wrong (i.e. too small) content-length header,
    causing the client to stop reading after it receives the initial n
    bytes of data.

    Regards,

    Phil
    Philipp Taprogge, May 11, 2007