Broken pipe

cerr

Hi There,

I'm very new to Python and i wanna write a script that sends a certain
string to a server. The code I came up with looks like this:
#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
import string

from socket import *
usage="USAGE: "+sys.argv[0]+" <server> <port>";
if len(sys.argv) != 3:
print usage;
sys.exit(0);
host = sys.argv[1];
port = sys.argv[2];
buf = 1024;
addr = (host,port);
sock = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM);
data = string.join("NovaxTest",'\n');
sock.send(data);
sock.close();
and I'm calling this script like that: "./TestService.py 127.0.0.1
1514" but when I call it I get following back:
sending data to 127.0.0.1:1514
data: NovaxTest
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./TestService.py", line 18, in <module>
sock.send(data);
socket.error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
I understand that UNIX sends an Errno32 if the server closes the
connection. But if i telnet to localhost on 1514 and send NovaxTest by
hand everything works just fine. So what might be wrong here?

Thank you very much!
Ron

Chris Rebert

[...]

You never called sock.connect(addr). Your code doesn't even use `addr` at all.
Also, please don't use semicolons in your code. It's bad style.

Cheers,
Chris

Ron Eggler

[...]

Oh, yeah, hOOps :$
Also, please don't use semicolons in your code. It's bad style.
Is it, eh? Well, I'm from C, C++ and for me it just belongs there..:) but i'll
try to change my habits... :)

Hm weird now I get something like:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./TestService.py", line 14, in <module>
sock.connect((host,port))
File "<string>", line 1, in connect
TypeError: an integer is required

with this code:

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
import string

from socket import *
usage="USAGE: "+sys.argv[0]+" <server> <port>"
if len(sys.argv) != 3:
print usage
sys.exit(0)
host = sys.argv[1]
port = sys.argv[2]
sock = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM)
sock.connect((host,port))
data = string.join("NovaxTest",'\n')
sock.send(data)
sock.close()

What does that mean? :(

Thanks,
[...]

You never converted `port` to an int, it's still a string.

You might consider reading the socket module docs:
http://docs.python.org/library/socket.html

Cheers,
Chris

Ron Eggler

--
Ron Eggler
Suite# 1804
[...]

port = int(sys.argv[2])

doesn't seem to help it either :(
You might consider reading the socket module docs:
http://docs.python.org/library/socket.html

mh, i browsed through it but didn't quite find what i'm looking for, do you
have any more hints?

Thanks,
Ron

cerr

--
Ron Eggler
Suite# 1804

On May 6, 2010 10:37:14 pm Chris Rebert wrote:
[...]

Ah, okay, I figured that out! I actually just needed to add a \n at
the end to signal the server that this is the end of the line. All
good now, thanks for your help!

Lie Ryan

Wonder why they’re allowed, then.

they're there for line continuation, e.g.:

a = 40; foo(a)

but in many cases, putting two statements in a single line reduces
readability so use the semicolons extremely conservatively. But the
worst is the abuse of semicolons for end-of-line markers.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

they're there for line continuation, e.g.:

a = 40; foo(a)

but in many cases, putting two statements in a single line reduces
readability so use the semicolons extremely conservatively. But the
worst is the abuse of semicolons for end-of-line markers.

So why are they allowed, then?

Lie Ryan

So why are they allowed, then?

Convenience. I've sometimes, in the interactive interpreter, written
codes that looks like:

a = 0; ... other code ...

since I need to reset the variable 'a' every time 'other code' is run.
If there hasn't been the ;, then I'd have to press up, up, enter, up,
up, change, enter. Compare that to up, change, enter since I can "up"
two "lines" at once.

In the interactive interpreter these sort of conveniences is often useful.

Unless your "why are they allowed" is about why a blank continuation
(i.e. abusing ; as line ending) is allowed. In that case, I'd presume
it's just because conceptually:

foo();
bar

is just:

foo()

bar()

but probably you're right; maybe they should be strictly disallowed. But
it's too late for this kind of change, not until py4k.

Dennis Lee Bieber

So why are they allowed, then?

Semicolon is a statement SEPARATOR -- but so is a NEWLINE.

Some languages (see C and Ada) use semicolon as a statement
TERMINATOR (and newline does not end a statement).

The epitomy of the confusion is Pascal, where a block looking like:

if...then
begin
statement1;
statement2;
end;

actually has THREE statements -- the third statement is a Nil. The
correct (or acceptable) version would be:

if...then
begin
statement1;
statement2
end;

Ada uses it as a terminator, so the following is valid:

if ... then
state
ment
1;