Brower close itself, probably due to java problem. Please help

What's in a Name?

iiiiiieeeeee aka (e-mail address removed) in 24hoursupport.helpdesk messageID
I have IE 7.0.5730.11 and Firefox 1.5.0.10. Both will close if I try
to go to http://screener.finance.yahoo.com/newscreener.html and try
to click "Launch Yahoo! Finance
Stock Screener" shortcut is javascript:wo('_blank','/fscr/us/
launch.html',370,525)

I have Java 1.5.0_02

Please help me.

Remove all versions of java.
Go here http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Install latest and greatest version.

Whenever updating java you must remove previous versions before install.

HTH
max

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

What's in a Name? said:
Whenever updating java you must remove previous versions before install.

No. That is definitely not always necessary. And it is not even
possible if one actually needs multiple Java versions on ones
system (for other things than browser).

Arne

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Arne Vajhøj said:
No. That is definitely not always necessary. And it is not even
possible if one actually needs multiple Java versions on ones
system (for other things than browser).

But usually a good idea because of security holes in the earlier versions.

Chris Uppal

[non-existent newsgroups trimmed from reply]
But usually a good idea because of security holes in the earlier versions.

Distinguish between the version of Java which is used by your browser, Web
Start, etc, to launch thrid-party supplied code, and the version/S/ of Java
which you have on your machine in order to test stuff. It's worthwhile keeping
the first of these up to date, but the others can be (and sometimes must be)
treated differently.

I currently have versions of 1.4.2 1.5 and 1.5 installed on this machine. I'll
have a version of BEA's JRockit too, if I ever get around to installing it.

-- chris