    files, or is there a special module for *.txt files?
    Thanks
    Fred

    Fred, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Fred

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > I am searching for a module, that would allow me to call files by
    > using a 'browse' button. Is there any uniform module for browsing
    > files, or is there a special module for *.txt files?

    I think you'll want to take some time to put your
    requirements into different words. Much of what
    you say above doesn't really make sense, and we'd
    mostly be guessing if we tried to answer.

    "call files"? What does that mean? One calls
    subroutines, but not files. You can view them,
    or execute them, or open them and read data from
    them... not call them.

    "browse button"? What does that mean? Are you
    concerned about the button part of that, or are
    you really just asking for a way to "browse"
    something? What does "browse" mean to you?
    Usually it means something like displaying a file
    selection dialog that lets the user navigate
    up and down through the directory tree and
    select files, and the contents of the files are
    displayed when the user selects one. Is that
    what you wanted?

    Finally, are you trying to do this from within
    a Python program? If not, there are certainly
    lots of things that will do the job without
    Python... the Explorer in Windows, for example.

    Which leads to another point: what platform are
    you on? This "browse" thing is almost certain
    to mean you are trying to write a GUI program,
    and for that you need to know what platform(s)
    you want it to run on, and you need to pick
    one of the available frameworks. Choices include
    wxPython, Tkinter, some GTK thing, etc...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Sorry if my choice of words is not very clear to you, but as english
    is not my first language, I put it this way because of a lack of
    better words.
    I will try it differently:
    What I meant is that I am searching for a module, that would allow me
    to select a file by not using a typed path, but by choosing it like a
    file in the normal windows exploer, where all the folders and
    subfolders are listed. (I still don't know the word for this
    method...)
    And I meant open and read data from files, again 'lack of better words'.
    I am using Windows XP, Python 2.3.5 with win32all extension.
    Sorry for the trouble this caused!

    Fred, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Fred

    Mike Wimpe Guest

    Are you trying to do this within a GUI?

    If so, wxPython, PyGTK, and PyQT all have ways to do this. You can also
    use EasyDialogs for this as well.

    If not, flush...

    Mike Wimpe, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Fred

    Steve Holden Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Sorry if my choice of words is not very clear to you, but as english
    > is not my first language, I put it this way because of a lack of
    > better words.
    > I will try it differently:
    > What I meant is that I am searching for a module, that would allow me
    > to select a file by not using a typed path, but by choosing it like a
    > file in the normal windows exploer, where all the folders and
    > subfolders are listed. (I still don't know the word for this
    > method...)
    > And I meant open and read data from files, again 'lack of better words'.
    > I am using Windows XP, Python 2.3.5 with win32all extension.
    > Sorry for the trouble this caused!

    Don't worry about that, comp.lang.python is very forgiving.

    You might get some ideas from these URLs:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/excerpts/chpt20/?page=10
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/chapter/ch20.html
    http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/264

    Some of which are extracted from Mark Hammond's and Andy Robinson's
    "Python Programming on Win32".

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Sweet.Thanks for the URLs!!
    And for all the other help and good guessing

    Fred, Mar 11, 2005