browse dialog to select a local directory

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by ginnone@gmail.com, May 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm developing a MS ASP.NET 1.1 web application
    I need to let users upload one or more files to my server; I just need
    a Stream, which I will only use to store in a DB. So I don't want to
    save the files on my server.
    Using the input=file tag it is easy to let the user browse for a single
    file and then upload it; as I submit my form the file is automatically
    uploaded and I can work with it server side.
    Now my requirments are a little different:
    - the user must be able to select a directory in his local disk (better
    if it can be done with a dialog box similar to the one used by
    <input=file>)
    - the page must show the files contained in that directory, for example
    in a <select> or with a list of checkboxes
    - the user selects one or more files
    - the user press an "upload selected files" button and the files are
    uploaded to the server
    I think javascript is the best solution to select the directory and
    list the files; once this is done I can upload the selected files using
    several input=file, hidden but present in the page (I've already done
    this part)
    What I need is to select a local directory and to list all the files of
    that directory - with javascript would be great, I prefer not to use
    activex or other technologies; but I would appreciate any solution...
    Can anyone help ?
    , May 8, 2006