browse dialog to select a local directory

ginnone

I'm developing a MS ASP.NET 1.1 web application
I need to let users upload one or more files to my server; I just need
a Stream, which I will only use to store in a DB. So I don't want to
save the files on my server.
Using the input=file tag it is easy to let the user browse for a single
file and then upload it; as I submit my form the file is automatically
uploaded and I can work with it server side.
Now my requirments are a little different:
- the user must be able to select a directory in his local disk (better
if it can be done with a dialog box similar to the one used by
<input=file>)
- the page must show the files contained in that directory, for example
in a <select> or with a list of checkboxes
- the user selects one or more files
- the user press an "upload selected files" button and the files are
uploaded to the server
I think javascript is the best solution to select the directory and
list the files; once this is done I can upload the selected files using
several input=file, hidden but present in the page (I've already done
this part)
What I need is to select a local directory and to list all the files of
that directory - with javascript would be great, I prefer not to use
activex or other technologies; but I would appreciate any solution...
Can anyone help ?