    It works fine down around 30 items.

    Is it possible to raise that limit?

    thanks
    shank, Aug 23, 2005

  2. shank wrote:
    > I've been reading where browsers can limit cookie sizes to 4K. I have
    > a cookie-based cart and one customer that wants to put 50+ items in
    > the cart. It works fine down around 30 items.
    >
    > Is it possible to raise that limit?

    Since you don't have control over the client environment, there isn't a
    whole lot you can do. One thing you could do is encode the data in the cart
    in a manner that compresses the information. Additional cookies may help.
    But 4K is what you get when you choose cookie-based carts.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Aug 23, 2005

  3. shank

    shank Guest

    "Dave Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > shank wrote:
    >> I've been reading where browsers can limit cookie sizes to 4K. I have
    >> a cookie-based cart and one customer that wants to put 50+ items in
    >> the cart. It works fine down around 30 items.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to raise that limit?

    > Since you don't have control over the client environment, there isn't a
    > whole lot you can do. One thing you could do is encode the data in the
    > cart in a manner that compresses the information. Additional cookies may
    > help. But 4K is what you get when you choose cookie-based carts.
    >

    > --
    > Dave Anderson

    What if I did have control over the client's machine? I'm sure to resolve
    this issue they'd entertain changing that limit. Are you aware of any way to
    change that on one's computer?
    thanks!
    shank, Aug 23, 2005
  4. shank wrote:
    >> Since you don't have control over the client environment,
    >> there isn't a whole lot you can do.

    > What if I did have control over the client's machine?

    I don't think you get my point. The browser is the client environment. You
    didn't write the browser, so you cannot change the way it stores cookies.

    More importantly, since there was broad adoption of Netscape's
    specification, it is likely a browser sending cookies larger than 4K would
    not function as expected with many servers (and conversely, exceeding 4K
    with the Set-Cookie header could break some browsers). What you get is a de
    facto standard.

    http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html

    --
    Dave Anderson