Browser (and other) caching

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Simon Wigzell, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. I have a dynamic website system that my clients use to change their webpage
    conten online. Sometimes the new change isn't visible right away to a
    browser. I have the following in every webpage's <HEAD> section:

    <META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="0">

    which on previous investigation was supposed to be a solution for this. All
    I want is a definitive solution so that when a browser makes a call to my
    server for one of my pages, everything along the line that has a cached copy
    of the page is going to say "Aha! The browser wants the latest version of
    this page! I'm going to pass this request up the line to see if their is a
    more recent version instead of sending it my cached copy". (Yup, that is how
    browsers and ISPs speak to each other). What do I have to do to my webpages
    to ensure this happens? At the same time, I don't want it to be getting the
    page all the way from the server if the page content hasn't changed. In
    other words, I just want the cacheing to work properly!

    Sorry if this isn't an explicit ASP question but no one in the HTML groups
    I've tried has any idea what I'm talking about and I'm hoping that those who
    frequent this room will have a better handle on the whole
    client/server/caching problem and the solution!

    Thanks!

    Simon Wigzell, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Simon Wigzell

    Mark Schupp Guest

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2022

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Jul 14, 2004

  3. >

    "Mark Schupp" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2022
    >
    > --
    > Mark Schupp
    > Head of Development
    > Integrity eLearning
    > www.ielearning.com

    I should have said - the asp server code produces html files that sit on the
    server, these are what the client browsers are retrieveing so I need the
    solution for html files, not asp. Thanks.

    Simon Wigzell, Jul 15, 2004