    return/are still on, the original page in my site?
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Dec 27, 2004

  2. KiwiBrian

    rf Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    > external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that

    they
    > return/are still on, the original page in my site?

    No. How could anybody "return to your original page" if they have just
    closed their browser?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 27, 2004

  3. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    > external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that
    > they return/are still on, the original page in my site?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    It is MY browser. You will NOT tell me I can not leave your site.
    I chose to enter your site, I will choose when to leave.
    If it can be done, don't you think others would be doing it now?

    There was one guy who got clever and used the onclick routine to his
    advantage.
    When you clicked the mouse, no matter what you did, you got plastered with
    more stuff.
    Those kinds of tricks only annoy the visitor and soon you won't have any.

    Oh and what if I decide to turn off the computer? You gonna make me come
    back to your site? Like hell you will.

    Richard, Dec 27, 2004
  4. KiwiBrian

    Neal Guest

    KiwiBrian <> wrote:

    > Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    > external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that
    > they
    > return/are still on, the original page in my site?

    Clicking the X = "I'm done now" for most users. If your site was still
    there, they'd just close it too.

    There is one way to make this happen, but the issues surrounding it make
    it less likely you'll please the user than piss them off.

    Neal, Dec 27, 2004
  5. In article <cqpuv9$uvv$>, KiwiBrian
    () dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    > external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
    > return/are still on, the original page in my site?

    You can't do it for just one page, once they go to the new site and
    close the window, that's it. They'll have to open the browser again to
    get back to your site. Unless you set their homepage for them somehow
    but that's not cool at all.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    Starshine Moonbeam, Dec 27, 2004
  6. In article <cqpuv9$uvv$>, says...
    > Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    > external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
    > return/are still on, the original page in my site?

    Yes, you can, but it would require you to fly/drive to everyone's house
    when they get to your site, and at gun point, force them to go back to
    your site.

    I think this is illegal most places though. Maybe not in Australia.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 27, 2004
  7. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Starshine Moonbeam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cqpuv9$uvv$>, KiwiBrian
    > () dropped a +5 bundle of words...
    >
    >> Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    >> external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that
    >> they
    >> return/are still on, the original page in my site?

    > You can't do it for just one page, once they go to the new site and
    > close the window, that's it. They'll have to open the browser again to
    > get back to your site. Unless you set their homepage for them somehow
    > but that's not cool at all.

    Maybe I worded my request ambiguously.
    Why does the method that you are proposing not achieve my aims?
    I thought it ensured that the new page would be a seperate entity that could
    be closed, thus leaving the user on the original/calling page.
    This is the way it appears to work on:-
    http://www.whangarei.co.nz/d_Business.cfm

    When I select Whangarei Falls Holiday Park, then close this page with the
    top right X I am back on my original calling page.
    Everyone's answers enable me to find this example, for which I am grateful,
    but am at a loss to ascertain why everyone is also telling me that it can't
    be done.
    I must be missing something or explainiing my wishes poorly.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Dec 27, 2004
  8. KiwiBrian

    jake Guest

    In message <cqpuv9$uvv$>, KiwiBrian
    <> writes
    >Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    >external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
    >return/are still on, the original page in my site?
    >TIA
    >Brian Tozer

    Yes. If your link opens the other site in a new window, then closing
    that window will return you to your original page.

    It's quite common practice -- except amongst those who think that
    opening a new window is the work of the Devil ;-)

    regards.
    --
    Jake

    jake, Dec 27, 2004
  9. KiwiBrian

    rf Guest

    KiwiBrian

    > Maybe I worded my request ambiguously.
    > Why does the method that you are proposing not achieve my aims?
    > I thought it ensured that the new page would be a seperate entity that

    could
    > be closed, thus leaving the user on the original/calling page.
    > This is the way it appears to work on:-
    > http://www.whangarei.co.nz/d_Business.cfm

    Ah, you mean a popup.

    This is a very nasty thing to do to your visitor, it breaks the back button.

    Studies have shown that when a new window pops up (especially if the browser
    is maximized) then the viewer will *not* return to the original site. They
    will assume something is broken (the back button) and surf *on* from where
    they are, probably by re-opening google.

    Only when they have finished for the day do they close down the browser,
    finding your site mysteriously underneath it. They then think "Where the
    bloody hell did this come from. It must be a virus". You never see them
    again.

    Besides all of the above just about all of the browsers these days offer
    options to stop these nast popups. Many people will never see them.

    Anyway, all browsers have a mechanism to *optionally* open a link in a new
    window. You should not force them to do so.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 27, 2004
  10. KiwiBrian

    rf Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote

    > I think this is illegal most places though. Maybe not in Australia.

    What makes you think KiwiBrain comes from Australia. Look at his handle :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 27, 2004
  11. KiwiBrian

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > Look at his handle :)

    Handles are more for pulling than lookin at.

    --
    D?
    If it ain't broken fix it anyway.

    Duende, Dec 28, 2004
  12. In article <E%0Ad.90660$>,
    rf@.invalid says...
    > > I think this is illegal most places though. Maybe not in Australia.

    > What makes you think KiwiBrain comes from Australia. Look at his handle :)

    I don't think he comes from Australia.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 28, 2004
  13. KiwiBrian

    Keith Guest

    Richard,
    Cool down a bit. Are you taking your medicine?

    Keith, Dec 28, 2004
  14. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > In article <cqpuv9$uvv$>, says...

    >> Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
    >> external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
    >> return/are still on, the original page in my site?

    > Yes, you can, but it would require you to fly/drive to everyone's house
    > when they get to your site, and at gun point, force them to go back to
    > your site.

    > I think this is illegal most places though. Maybe not in Australia.

    You were thinking "Kiwi" refers to Australians?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 28, 2004
  15. KiwiBrian

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Blinky the Shark scribbled in the mud:

    >> I think this is illegal most places though. Maybe not in Australia.

    > You were thinking "Kiwi" refers to Australians?

    Below the equator everybody's the same.

    <runs class="fast" />

    Duende, Dec 28, 2004
  16. KiwiBrian

    steven Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote
    >
    > > I think this is illegal most places though. Maybe not in Australia.

    > What makes you think KiwiBrain comes from Australia. Look at his handle

    :)

    KiwiBrian has KiwiBrain? :)

    steven, Dec 28, 2004
  17. KiwiBrian

    WebMaster Guest

    > KiwiBrian
    >
    > > Maybe I worded my request ambiguously.
    > > Why does the method that you are proposing not achieve my aims?
    > > I thought it ensured that the new page would be a seperate entity that

    > could
    > > be closed, thus leaving the user on the original/calling page.
    > > This is the way it appears to work on:-
    > > http://www.whangarei.co.nz/d_Business.cfm

    > Ah, you mean a popup.
    >
    > This is a very nasty thing to do to your visitor, it breaks the back

    button.

    > Studies have shown that when a new window pops up (especially if the

    browser
    > is maximized) then the viewer will *not* return to the original site. They
    > will assume something is broken (the back button) and surf *on* from where
    > they are, probably by re-opening google.

    studies? URL (or URI, if you prefer)?
    Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
    computers...
    --

    Rudy
    http://www.rol.be

    WebMaster, Dec 28, 2004

    http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=25

    > Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
    > computers...

    Having watched over the shoulders of many .. ah, shall we say .. less
    than astute .. users [1], almost all of them have maximized browser
    windows and they get totally lost when a new window completely covers
    the original site. The Back button no longer works. So what do they
    do? They go back to google.com and look for another site.

    Later that day, when they are finished browsing, they *might* find
    your site still in that hidden window. That is ... if they didn't just
    reach over and turn off the power.

    [1] Unfortunately, this even includes people (programmers, sysops,
    bosses) in the IT department of the company I recently retired from.
    The sales and clerical staff was even worse.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2004
  19. KiwiBrian

    Karl Core Guest

    "WebMaster" <> wrote in message

    >> Studies have shown that when a new window pops up (especially if the

    > browser
    >> is maximized) then the viewer will *not* return to the original site.
    >> They
    >> will assume something is broken (the back button) and surf *on* from
    >> where
    >> they are, probably by re-opening google.

    > studies? URL (or URI, if you prefer)?
    > Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
    > computers...

    Yes, they should. Moreover, stupid people (like you) should be kept from
    making websites.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":

    Karl Core, Dec 28, 2004
  20. .oO(WebMaster)

    >"rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote
    >
    >> Studies have shown that when a new window pops up (especially if the browser
    >> is maximized) then the viewer will *not* return to the original site. They
    >> will assume something is broken (the back button) and surf *on* from where
    >> they are, probably by re-opening google.

    >studies? URL (or URI, if you prefer)?
    >Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
    >computers...

    So should many "webdesigners".

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Dec 29, 2004