Browser behaviour

KiwiBrian

Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
return/are still on, the original page in my site?
TIA
Brian Tozer

rf

KiwiBrian said:
Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
return/are still on, the original page in my site?

No. How could anybody "return to your original page" if they have just
closed their browser?

Richard

KiwiBrian said:
Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that
they return/are still on, the original page in my site?
TIA
Brian Tozer

It is MY browser. You will NOT tell me I can not leave your site.
I chose to enter your site, I will choose when to leave.
If it can be done, don't you think others would be doing it now?

There was one guy who got clever and used the onclick routine to his
advantage.
When you clicked the mouse, no matter what you did, you got plastered with
more stuff.
Those kinds of tricks only annoy the visitor and soon you won't have any.

Oh and what if I decide to turn off the computer? You gonna make me come
back to your site? Like hell you will.

Neal

KiwiBrian said:
Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that
they
return/are still on, the original page in my site?

Clicking the X = "I'm done now" for most users. If your site was still
there, they'd just close it too.

There is one way to make this happen, but the issues surrounding it make
it less likely you'll please the user than piss them off.

Starshine Moonbeam

KiwiBrian said:
Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
return/are still on, the original page in my site?

You can't do it for just one page, once they go to the new site and
close the window, that's it. They'll have to open the browser again to
get back to your site. Unless you set their homepage for them somehow
but that's not cool at all.

Travis Newbury

Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
return/are still on, the original page in my site?

Yes, you can, but it would require you to fly/drive to everyone's house
when they get to your site, and at gun point, force them to go back to
your site.

I think this is illegal most places though. Maybe not in Australia.

KiwiBrian

Starshine Moonbeam said:

You can't do it for just one page, once they go to the new site and
close the window, that's it. They'll have to open the browser again to
get back to your site. Unless you set their homepage for them somehow
but that's not cool at all.

Maybe I worded my request ambiguously.
Why does the method that you are proposing not achieve my aims?
I thought it ensured that the new page would be a seperate entity that could
be closed, thus leaving the user on the original/calling page.
This is the way it appears to work on:-
http://www.whangarei.co.nz/d_Business.cfm

When I select Whangarei Falls Holiday Park, then close this page with the
top right X I am back on my original calling page.
Everyone's answers enable me to find this example, for which I am grateful,
but am at a loss to ascertain why everyone is also telling me that it can't
be done.
I must be missing something or explainiing my wishes poorly.
Brian Tozer

jake

KiwiBrian said:
Can I ensure that when someone selects a hyperlink from my site to an
external site, and then closes that new site with the top right X, that they
return/are still on, the original page in my site?
TIA
Brian Tozer

Yes. If your link opens the other site in a new window, then closing
that window will return you to your original page.

It's quite common practice -- except amongst those who think that
opening a new window is the work of the Devil ;-)

regards.

rf

KiwiBrian
Maybe I worded my request ambiguously.
Why does the method that you are proposing not achieve my aims?
I thought it ensured that the new page would be a seperate entity that could
be closed, thus leaving the user on the original/calling page.
This is the way it appears to work on:-
http://www.whangarei.co.nz/d_Business.cfm

Ah, you mean a popup.

This is a very nasty thing to do to your visitor, it breaks the back button.

Studies have shown that when a new window pops up (especially if the browser
is maximized) then the viewer will *not* return to the original site. They
will assume something is broken (the back button) and surf *on* from where
they are, probably by re-opening google.

Only when they have finished for the day do they close down the browser,
finding your site mysteriously underneath it. They then think "Where the
bloody hell did this come from. It must be a virus". You never see them
again.

Besides all of the above just about all of the browsers these days offer
options to stop these nast popups. Many people will never see them.

Anyway, all browsers have a mechanism to *optionally* open a link in a new
window. You should not force them to do so.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Blinky the Shark scribbled in the mud:
You were thinking "Kiwi" refers to Australians?

Below the equator everybody's the same.

<runs class="fast" />

WebMaster

rf said:
KiwiBrian

Ah, you mean a popup.

This is a very nasty thing to do to your visitor, it breaks the back button.

Studies have shown that when a new window pops up (especially if the browser
is maximized) then the viewer will *not* return to the original site. They
will assume something is broken (the back button) and surf *on* from where
they are, probably by re-opening google.

studies? URL (or URI, if you prefer)?
Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
computers...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=25

Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
computers...

Having watched over the shoulders of many .. ah, shall we say .. less
than astute .. users [1], almost all of them have maximized browser
windows and they get totally lost when a new window completely covers
the original site. The Back button no longer works. So what do they
do? They go back to google.com and look for another site.

Later that day, when they are finished browsing, they *might* find
your site still in that hidden window. That is ... if they didn't just
reach over and turn off the power.

[1] Unfortunately, this even includes people (programmers, sysops,
bosses) in the IT department of the company I recently retired from.
The sales and clerical staff was even worse.

Karl Core

WebMaster said:
studies? URL (or URI, if you prefer)?
Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
computers...

Yes, they should. Moreover, stupid people (like you) should be kept from
making websites.

Michael Fesser

.oO(WebMaster)
studies? URL (or URI, if you prefer)?
Pretty stupid users, if you ask me. They should be kept away from
computers...

So should many "webdesigners".

Micha