Browser cross compatible javascript

DanWeaver

I use visual studio 2008 and am learning to use javascript. I am
constructing a javascript heavy website and have tried using the
visual studio tools as well as Firebug- an add on for Firefox which I
highly recommend . These tools are a large step up from writing the
code in a text editor and guessing through the use of message boxes
what is going wrong.
(* off topic extra info) QUESTION- Javascript that works perfectly
well in IE sometimes does not function in Firefox- is there a free and
simple tool that enables a coder to plonk in javascript (or a whole
web page) that works in one browser and have spat out some cross
compatible javascript / page code?

* (off topic extra info) Trying to keep a page looking good for
Firefox, IE, Safari is difficult enough as it is- what with
differences in the way browsers interpret something as seemingly
innocuous as the width of a textbox (eventually solved by using
browser specific style changes such as [if IE...]-

DanWeaver

Thanks, Intrader- however, the code (listed earlier in thread) behaves
the same way in firefox....

Any clues?

Agreed re IE- several controls have to be sized differently for IE via
eg

<!--[if IE]>
..t1 {
width: 90px; height:16px; z-index: 1; left: 4; position: absolute;
top: 9px; bottom: 10px;
}
<![endif]-->

.....but this is off topic (pasted here for future user archive
search.)

Any suggestions re the CSS div issue most welcome,

DanWeaver

Many apologies- got confused with which thread I was responding to-
Had asked a question about divs and css in other group- very
frustrating but not javacript- sorry about this

DanWeaver said:
[...]

Unfortunatelly, in my experiece IE with versions < 8, do not follow
standards well. I recommend that you first get your script to work in
Firefox, and if you have Safari, make it work there too, before you make
the modifications necessary to get it to work in IE.
There are some very good cross browser libraries such as that offered by
Yahoo (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/)

Good luck