browser-dependent cookie behavior

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by rallabs@adelphia.net, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a string of cgi scripts which successively set and use cookies
    on the user's browser. The first page sets a 'dummy' cookie and
    redirects to a second page which attempts to read the cookie and sends
    the user a message if the read was unsuccessful, telling him to re-set
    their browser to accept cookies. My problem is that with Internet
    Explorer, even when it is set up properly to accept cookies, and even
    though it successfully passes through the cookie test, it loses one of
    the cookies when it tries to read it in a later page. It returns a
    null for that cookie and that cookie only. The cookie does not have a
    weird name; it is named PT. It is very frustrating because Firefox
    proceeds along through the entire chain of scripts and does not lose
    the cookie. I have tried it on Internet Explorer using several
    different PC computers. I didn't copy down all the version numbers,
    but on this computer it is
    version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

    One thing I don't know how to do as a new cgi scripter is to examine
    the IE cookies. There's a folder on my computer named 'cookies' whose
    only file is called 'index' but it's unreadable. I know how to look at
    the cookies in Firefox, but it behaves properly anyway. My IE settings
    are to accept all cookies from all sites.
    This is a Perl question and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup so
    don't dump on me if you don't think it adheres closely enough to your
    standards for posting.

    , Sep 1, 2006

  2. Paul Lalli Guest

    wrote:

    <snip non-Perl-related question>

    > This is a Perl question

    No. It's not.

    > and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup so
    > don't dump on me if you don't think it adheres closely enough to your
    > standards for posting.

    The fact that your CGI script happens to be written in Perl does not
    make a question about two different browsers behaving differently into
    a Perl question. Your question would be the same regardless of what
    language you used to write your CGI program.

    Now, if you're doing something *wrong* in your Perl code that is
    causing one browser to behave differently (perhaps because one
    tolerates your wrong code while the other does not), then that *might*
    be a Perl question, but the only way to determine that would be if you
    were to post your code, which you did not do.

    As for those "standards for posting" that you're so keen to
    sarcastically refer to, have you actually *read* them?

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Sep 1, 2006

  3. <> wrote:

    > One thing I don't know how to do as a new cgi scripter is to examine
    > the IE cookies.

    > This is a Perl question

    No it isn't.

    Internet Explorer is not written in Perl.

    > and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup so
    > don't dump on me

    No dumping, just killfiling.

    > if you don't think it adheres closely enough to your
    > standards for posting.

    So long!

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Scott Bryce Guest

    wrote:

    > This is a Perl question

    How Internet Explorer handles cookies has nothing to do with Perl.

    > and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup

    You would probably have better luck posting in a CGI newsgroup.

    > so don't dump on me if you don't think it adheres closely enough to
    > your standards for posting.

    Being rude won't endear you to anybody here.

    Scott Bryce, Sep 1, 2006
  5. Tintin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a string of cgi scripts which successively set and use cookies
    > on the user's browser. The first page sets a 'dummy' cookie and
    > redirects to a second page which attempts to read the cookie and sends
    > the user a message if the read was unsuccessful, telling him to re-set
    > their browser to accept cookies. My problem is that with Internet
    > Explorer, even when it is set up properly to accept cookies, and even
    > though it successfully passes through the cookie test, it loses one of
    > the cookies when it tries to read it in a later page. It returns a
    > null for that cookie and that cookie only. The cookie does not have a
    > weird name; it is named PT. It is very frustrating because Firefox
    > proceeds along through the entire chain of scripts and does not lose
    > the cookie. I have tried it on Internet Explorer using several
    > different PC computers. I didn't copy down all the version numbers,
    > but on this computer it is
    > version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
    >
    > One thing I don't know how to do as a new cgi scripter is to examine
    > the IE cookies. There's a folder on my computer named 'cookies' whose
    > only file is called 'index' but it's unreadable. I know how to look at
    > the cookies in Firefox, but it behaves properly anyway. My IE settings
    > are to accept all cookies from all sites.
    > This is a Perl question and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup so
    > don't dump on me if you don't think it adheres closely enough to your
    > standards for posting.

    What bizzare line of logic led you to conclude this is a Perl question?

    All your questions are browser/cookie related and you don't even show any
    Perl code.

    Tintin, Sep 2, 2006