browser-dependent cookie behavior

rallabs

I have a string of cgi scripts which successively set and use cookies
on the user's browser. The first page sets a 'dummy' cookie and
redirects to a second page which attempts to read the cookie and sends
the user a message if the read was unsuccessful, telling him to re-set
their browser to accept cookies. My problem is that with Internet
Explorer, even when it is set up properly to accept cookies, and even
though it successfully passes through the cookie test, it loses one of
the cookies when it tries to read it in a later page. It returns a
null for that cookie and that cookie only. The cookie does not have a
weird name; it is named PT. It is very frustrating because Firefox
proceeds along through the entire chain of scripts and does not lose
the cookie. I have tried it on Internet Explorer using several
different PC computers. I didn't copy down all the version numbers,
but on this computer it is
version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

One thing I don't know how to do as a new cgi scripter is to examine
the IE cookies. There's a folder on my computer named 'cookies' whose
only file is called 'index' but it's unreadable. I know how to look at
the cookies in Firefox, but it behaves properly anyway. My IE settings
are to accept all cookies from all sites.
This is a Perl question and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup so
don't dump on me if you don't think it adheres closely enough to your
standards for posting.

Paul Lalli

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

This is a Perl question

No. It's not.
and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup so
don't dump on me if you don't think it adheres closely enough to your
standards for posting.

The fact that your CGI script happens to be written in Perl does not
make a question about two different browsers behaving differently into
a Perl question. Your question would be the same regardless of what
language you used to write your CGI program.

Now, if you're doing something *wrong* in your Perl code that is
causing one browser to behave differently (perhaps because one
tolerates your wrong code while the other does not), then that *might*
be a Perl question, but the only way to determine that would be if you
were to post your code, which you did not do.

As for those "standards for posting" that you're so keen to
sarcastically refer to, have you actually *read* them?

Paul Lalli

Tad McClellan

One thing I don't know how to do as a new cgi scripter is to examine
the IE cookies.

This is a Perl question

No it isn't.

Internet Explorer is not written in Perl.

and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup so
don't dump on me

No dumping, just killfiling.

if you don't think it adheres closely enough to your
standards for posting.

So long!

Scott Bryce

This is a Perl question

How Internet Explorer handles cookies has nothing to do with Perl.
and I am posting it on a Perl newsgroup

You would probably have better luck posting in a CGI newsgroup.
so don't dump on me if you don't think it adheres closely enough to
your standards for posting.

Being rude won't endear you to anybody here.

Tintin

[...]

What bizzare line of logic led you to conclude this is a Perl question?

All your questions are browser/cookie related and you don't even show any
Perl code.