browser does not transform xml when server through web server

Discussion in 'XML' started by robert walker, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. hi all, can someone help me with this

    I have xml file on
    my web server (iplanet) and want to
    to load them from a client (internet explorer)
    and see the transformed xml in html

    my xslt is billing_reports.xsl like this

    =====================================
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    <xsl:eek:utput method="html"/>
    <xsl:template match="/">
    =====================================

    and my xml file looks like
    =====================================

    <?xml-stylesheet href="billing_reports.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>

    <INVOICE INVOICE_TYPE="DRAFT">

    =====================================

    when served to the the client, no transformation takes place

    internet explorer client gives
    "Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource
    ..."
    its well formed xml and there is no dtd, so I do not understand this
    message,
    and
    mozilla yeieds the xml
    as if it were a text file

    XML Bible book states

    There are three primary ways to transform XML documents into other
    formats, such as HTML, with an XSLT style sheet:

    1. The XML document and associated style sheet are both served to the
    client (Web browser), which then transforms the document as specified
    by the style sheet and presents it to the user.

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    how do I configure #1 so that this happens

    thanks

    robert walker, Jan 19, 2004

  2. robert walker

    Joe Fawcett Guest

    "robert walker" <> wrote in message
    > hi all, can someone help me with this
    >
    > I have xml file on
    > my web server (iplanet) and want to
    > to load them from a client (internet explorer)
    > and see the transformed xml in html
    >
    > my xslt is billing_reports.xsl like this
    >
    > =====================================
    > <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    > <xsl:eek:utput method="html"/>
    > <xsl:template match="/">
    > =====================================
    >
    > and my xml file looks like
    > =====================================
    >
    > <?xml-stylesheet href="billing_reports.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
    >
    > <INVOICE INVOICE_TYPE="DRAFT">

    > =====================================
    >
    > when served to the the client, no transformation takes place
    >

    > internet explorer client gives
    > "Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource
    > .."
    > its well formed xml and there is no dtd, so I do not understand this

    Are you sure there is NO whitespace before the xml prolog?

    Joe (MVP - xml)

    Joe Fawcett, Jan 20, 2004

  3. hi joe, i think all
    ws is removed proior to start of

    in my xml file

    this is what you are suggesting i check right?

    i was reading about cocoon and additional processing instructions to
    get this to work, but thought it should just happen when requesting a
    xml
    resource

    thanks

    robert walker, Jan 21, 2004
  4. robert walker

    > hi joe, i think all
    > ws is removed proior to start of

    > in my xml file
    >
    > this is what you are suggesting i check right?
    >
    > i was reading about cocoon and additional processing instructions to
    > get this to work, but thought it should just happen when requesting a
    > xml
    > resource
    >
    > thanks

    If you email the files to joefawcett - AT - hotmail.com I'll check them on
    my server/browser.
    (You'll need to email rather than post inline because that can change
    encoding etc.)
    --

    Joe

    Joe Fawcett, Jan 21, 2004