    PDAs and (say) HTML 4 pages otherwise?

    Thanks!

    Lauchlan M

    Lauchlan M, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Great but how would one do it on a hosted site. How many web hosting
    companies give you access to the machine.config?
    Do any? I find many of the "solutions" to problems listed in this newsgroup
    are great if you are using an intranet or if you are in development using
    your own iis localhost but very often the solutions fall short when you
    deploy to a web host that you do not have control over.

    > The detection of the browser is handled in the machine.config file located

    in:

    > C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG
    >
    > You'll find a section like this where you can, presumably, customize .Net

    > detect your PDA and respond. Can't say more than that 'cause I've never

    messed
    > with it.
    >
    > <browserCaps>
    > <result type="System.Web.Mobile.MobileCapabilities, System.Web.Mobile,
    > Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
    > <use var="HTTP_USER_AGENT"/>
    >
    > Ken
    >

    > --
    > Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the

    Worm?
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp
    >

    > "Lauchlan M" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a need for users to access my ASP.NET pages from PDAs. I notice

    that
    > you can deploy to different browser levels, eg IE5, HTML3.2, etc. So
    > deploying the forms to HTML3.2 will work for PDAs.
    >
    > Is there much else to it (other than testing to make sure it looks and

    works
    > ok)?
    >
    > Also, how can I set it up to 'browser sniff' and serve up HTML 3.2 pages

    for

    Jason \(MFT1\), Aug 17, 2003

  3. "Lauchlan M" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have a need for users to access my ASP.NET pages from PDAs. I notice

    that
    > you can deploy to different browser levels, eg IE5, HTML3.2, etc. So
    > deploying the forms to HTML3.2 will work for PDAs.

    Have you considered using the Mobile Internet Toolkit? This allows you to
    use controls which adapt to PDAs, cell phones, etc. It is now part of Visual
    Studio 2003, but is an add-in for 2002.
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer