    I seem to be seeing 99% IE5+, <1% NS4 and negligible other. Can't see any
    Mac.

    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Jeff Thies

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:_dpzb.2503$>
    Jeff Thies said:

    > How goes the browser wars? I realize different stat collections will
    > represent different slices of the market.

    and there is no reliable way to determine what the user agent is so just
    make a number up you think sounds right.

    Why Webbrowser statistics lie and just don't say anything
    http://j3e.de/statistics_lie.html
    Why web usage statistics are (worse than) meaningless
    http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/webstats/

    --
    brucie
    04/December/2003 04:12:23 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Jeff Thies wrote:

    > How goes the browser wars? I realize different stat collections will
    > represent different slices of the market.

    From what I can gather, things look a bit like this:

    IE 6 70%
    IE 5.5 7%
    IE 5 5%
    Netscape 4 1%
    Gecko-based 9%
    Opera 2%
    KHTML-based 2%

    This is collated from a range of different sources.

    Trends show that IE 6 is creeping up, Netscape 4 and earlier versions of
    IE are plummeting and the others mentioned are growing fairly steadily.

    Expect Opera's market share to rise dramatically when Macromedia start
    using the Presto engine in their products (this has already been announced).

    Of course, on some sites, such as ones aimed at a more technical audience,
    this will differ. For example, from my logs:

    IE (all versions) 60%
    Gecko-based 25%
    Opera 10%
    KHTML-based 3%
    Text browsers 1%

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Jeff Thies

    RepAlciere Guest

    Here's my web server stats from PERIODICOS.WS which is hosted on SIMONWEB.COM
    for $6.95 a month.

    PERIODICOS.WS is a directory of Spanish-language newspapers, a directory
    written in Spanish and English and it gets hits from the USA and the
    Spanish-speaking world.

    Note that in some cases the name of the browser ends with a numeral such as
    Website Downloader 18 which accounted for 3 hits. This makes it understandable
    when you read that line.

    MSIE 55782 95.706%
    Mozilla 1012 1.736%
    Googlebot 284 0.487%