    code examples or open source project I could check out?

    Thank you very much,
    Aurélien

    Aurélien Géron, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Aurélien Géron

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Aurélien Géron" <> writes:

    > I'd like to write a simple portable browser plugin for Internet Explorer,
    > Netscape and if possible other navigators too. Is there a way to do that
    > using Python? For now I'd like to develop something like the GoogleBar, but
    > I'd also like to know how to develop "in-frame" plugins such as Flash or
    > Realplayer.

    I *think* Netscape plugins are quite simple, and it's not possible to
    do things like toolbars without taking over the whole window. I may
    be completely wrong there -- I've never written one. The Mozilla
    documentation is no doubt the place to start (Netscape Navigator is
    now a flavour of Mozilla, in case you don't know). I'm sure Mozilla
    will have lots of more sophisticated ways of doing things, but maybe
    not ones that make it possible to write cross-browser code -- unless
    you write a framework yourself, of course.

    [...]
    > Any ideas? Any links to documentation for browser plugins development? Any
    > code examples or open source project I could check out?

    It might not be as bad as it first appears, since XPCOM is heavily
    modelled on MS COM, and was designed to interoperate with it to an
    extent, I believe. PyXPCOM exists (written by Mark Hammond, of
    PythonCOM (etc.) fame). Other starting points:

    -ActiveX Control for Netscape plugins +
    Netscape plugin for ActiveX controls +
    Mozilla ActiveX control (not relevant to your question, but
    interesting)

    http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

    I think both Opera and Konqueror support Netscape plugins.

    -Codeweavers sells a product that uses a hacked version of wine to
    allow ActiveX plugins to work in Mozilla, Konqueror, etc. Called
    'Crossover Plugin', or something.

    -Qt has classes for implementing Netscape plugins. At least, it did
    -- can't find it in Qt 3. Not sure if that's accessible from PyQt,
    either. Qt for Windows is not free (but there is a weird
    noncommercial license for a single release of Qt/win 2.x). Qt/win 3
    includes some COM support, so there's a chance that might help you do
    a cross-platform plugin, if you can afford the licence.

    There may well be other ways of doing this, I haven't looked hard.
    Google away...

    John

    John J. Lee, Jul 20, 2003