browser reload button and Applet

Daisy

A few months ago, I changed my desktop application to an Applet.
Generally it works well. However, I have a challenge with the reload
button.

When a user hits the reload button, the browser footer says "Applet
loaded", the Java console shows Applet logging messages indicating the
Applet loaded, but the Java plug-in picture cycles infinitely. I mean
the icon with the coffee cup on top of the word Java.

What's best practice? Do I somehow create a reload button listener?

Thanks!

Andrew T.

Daisy said:
A few months ago, I changed my desktop application to an Applet.

What led you to that decision? Most projects go the other way.*
Generally it works well. However, I have a challenge with the reload
button.

Which browser? What version of the browser?
Which OS? What OS version? Using which Java version?

* Can you guess why, now?
When a user hits the reload button, the browser footer says "Applet
loaded", the Java console shows Applet logging messages indicating the
Applet loaded, but the Java plug-in picture cycles infinitely. I mean
the icon with the coffee cup on top of the word Java.

What's best practice?

Avoid applets altogether, unless there is a pressing need for
funcionality that only an applet can provide (which is rare).

Andrew T.

Oliver Wong

Daisy said:
A few months ago, I changed my desktop application to an Applet.
Generally it works well. However, I have a challenge with the reload
button.

When a user hits the reload button, the browser footer says "Applet
loaded", the Java console shows Applet logging messages indicating the
Applet loaded, but the Java plug-in picture cycles infinitely. I mean
the icon with the coffee cup on top of the word Java.

Does the applet still run correclty? If so, can you just ignore that
icon? I believe what the JVM does with respect to icons in taskbars is out
of your control.

- Oliver