    Paul DS.
    --
    Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

    Paul D.Smith, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Paul D.Smith

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote:

    >Having had a frustrating evening trying to get a border attribute to work in
    >a table style using IE 5.5, I tried to find a nice table of "this is the
    >HTML feature, here is a "yes, no, qualified statement" of what works, and
    >what doesn't for various browsers and their versions.
    >
    >I failed miserably! Am I just a lousy web surfer or does such a simple,
    >clear list not exist?

    It's not possible to do that reliably, for example a specified width on
    a div element may be rendered, but not if it's display property has been
    set to inline. The latter may be written as part of the same style rule,
    or it may be specified somewhere else entirely.

    There are no shortcuts that can act as a substitute for actually
    learning css.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Having had a frustrating evening trying to get a border attribute to work

    in
    > >a table style using IE 5.5, I tried to find a nice table of "this is the
    > >HTML feature, here is a "yes, no, qualified statement" of what works, and
    > >what doesn't for various browsers and their versions.
    > >
    > >I failed miserably! Am I just a lousy web surfer or does such a simple,
    > >clear list not exist?

    > It's not possible to do that reliably, for example a specified width on
    > a div element may be rendered, but not if it's display property has been
    > set to inline. The latter may be written as part of the same style rule,
    > or it may be specified somewhere else entirely.
    >
    > There are no shortcuts that can act as a substitute for actually
    > learning css.
    >
    > --
    > Spartanicus

    Umm. I'm trying to learn CSS but nobody I've talked to can explain what is
    wrong with my attempt to define a style for use with tables. General
    concensus is that IE 5.5 doesn't support this in which case learning CSS
    would not help me at all. What I need is somewhere I can go to determine
    "is my CSS knowledge lacking" or "am I flogging a dead horse because IE
    doesn't support this anyway"!

    FYI, I've going the following...

    <HTML>
    <STYLE>
    TABLE.census {BORDER: 1px}
    </STYLE>
    <BODY>
    <TABLE class=census>
    ....regular table entries here...
    </TABLE>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    This doesn't work whereas explicit <TABLE BORDER=1px> does. I haven't found
    anything that indicates what is wrong - do you know? Interstingly, using
    WIDTH: 50% (or WIDTH=50% as appropriate) works fine.

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Paul D.Smith wrote:
    > <STYLE>
    > TABLE.census {BORDER: 1px}

    ^^^^^

    Since you don't specify a style, the border is not displayed! Like it
    says in the specification,
    <http://w3c.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#propdef-border>:

    "Since the initial value of the border styles is 'none', no borders will
    be visible unless the border style is set."

    To be safe, you should also set the border color.

    So change your style rule like this:

    table.census {border:solid 1px black;}

    HTH,
    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 10, 2004
  5. On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:04:35 -0000, Paul D.Smith
    <> wrote:

    > "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    >> "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Having had a frustrating evening trying to get a border attribute to
    >>> work in a table style using IE 5.5, I tried to find a nice table of
    >>> "this is the HTML feature, here is a "yes, no, qualified statement" of
    >>> what works, and what doesn't for various browsers and their versions.

    >> There are no shortcuts that can act as a substitute for actually
    >> learning css.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Spartanicus

    Can you please fix your news client to delete the sig? Or do it manually.

    > FYI, I've going the following...
    >
    > <HTML>
    > <STYLE>

    What style? Use <style type="text/css"> instead.

    > TABLE.census {BORDER: 1px}

    1px Of what? Groove? Dotted? Solid? Give sufficient information to a
    browser and it will render fine.

    See <http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/tables.html#borders> for
    more info.

    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 10, 2004
  6. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Dec 10, 2004
  7. Paul D.Smith

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote in message
    > "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > This doesn't work whereas explicit <TABLE BORDER=1px> does.

    But it should not work. The BORDER attribute does not take units: it is
    always pixels.

    C A Upsdell, Dec 10, 2004