    What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    Thanks,

    John Paul.
    John Paul, Oct 13, 2006

  2. John Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    John Paul wrote:
    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John Paul.

    I use Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera, and IE.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Oct 13, 2006

  3. John Paul

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    John Paul wrote:
    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    No idea what people use :) I myself test in Lynx, IE6, FF and ('View->Small
    screen') Opera

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/
    Nico Schuyt, Oct 13, 2006
  4. John Paul

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote:

    >No idea what people use :) I myself test in Lynx, IE6, FF and ('View->Small
    >screen') Opera

    After what I recently told you, you are now promoting Opera's SSR as a
    test method to unsuspecting users without a warning?

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Oct 13, 2006
  5. John Paul

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:
    > "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote:
    >
    >> No idea what people use :) I myself test in Lynx, IE6, FF and
    >> ('View->Small screen') Opera

    > After what I recently told you, you are now promoting Opera's SSR as a
    > test method to unsuspecting users without a warning?

    It's just what I do until now. But, you're right, I should have mentioned
    the limitation of the test.

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/
    Nico Schuyt, Oct 13, 2006
  6. William Tasso, Oct 14, 2006
  7. John Paul

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:
    > After what I recently told you, you are now promoting Opera's SSR as a
    > test method to unsuspecting users without a warning?

    Do you have a reference to your past comments? I must have missed them.
    Andy Dingley, Oct 14, 2006
  8. John Paul

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Oct 14, 2006
  9. William Tasso wrote:
    > Fleeing from the madness of the jungle
    > Ed Mullen <> stumbled into
    > and said:
    >
    >> John Paul wrote:
    >>> What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    >> I use Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera, and IE.
    >>

    > There are rendering differences between firefox & seamonkey?

    There use to be between Firefox and Mozilla, but since they upgraded
    Mozilla's codebase in SeaMonkey I haven't seen any difference.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 14, 2006
  10. John Paul

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <b4RXg.144737$>,
    says...
    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    This people checks in IE5,IE6,IE7, Opera9, FF1.5, SeaMonkey1.0.
    I sometimes use http://browsershots.org/ too.
    I have no idea if I'm typical.
    Joe (GKF), Oct 15, 2006
  11. John Paul

    Gazza Guest

    John Paul mumbled the following on 13/10/2006 19:40:
    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    IE6, IE7, FF1.5, Opera8, Opera9, Amaya, Lynx and NS4 just for a laugh :eek:)

    --
    Gazza
    Mobile Number Network Checker - http://mnnc.net/
    Gazza, Oct 15, 2006
  12. John Paul

    patrick j Guest

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:40:07 +0100, John Paul wrote
    (in article <b4RXg.144737$>):

    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    On my Mac I use iCab during construction, it has a built in validation
    which is very handy. Then I check everything out with Firefox and
    Safari. With my Mac I have a partition with Windows on it but I have to
    restart the computer to use the Windows. In fact the only reason I have
    Windows is so that I can view the site in IE 6 which of course comes
    with Windows.

    I do like to look at the site in other people's computers if possible.
    It is amazing how different a web-site can look with a different
    monitor.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK
    patrick j, Oct 15, 2006
  13. On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:40:07 +0000, John Paul wrote:

    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    Firefox, IE6, IE7, Safari, and most importantly:

    validator.w3.org

    --
    George Sexton
    MH Software, Inc. - Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar
    George L. Sexton, Oct 15, 2006
  14. John Paul

    Saul Guest

    George L. Sexton wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:40:07 +0000, John Paul wrote:
    >
    > > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    > Firefox, IE6, IE7, Safari, and most importantly:
    >
    > validator.w3.org

    An idle question, but just how many leading websites actually do
    validate - does anyone keep a list - say take the leading sites from
    Alexa (oh and of course Alexa itself)

    Thought I'd try a few less sites like BBC, the Times, Yahoo, Google,
    Ebay, MySpace - hmmm interesting...

    Saul
    Saul, Oct 15, 2006
  15. John Paul

    patrick j Guest

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:23:44 +0100, Saul wrote
    (in article <>):

    > An idle question, but just how many leading websites actually do
    > validate

    Very few I think.

    One of my browsers, iCab, has a little smiley face which frowns if a
    web-site doesn't validate with iCab's built in validation. It's true
    that iCab's built in validation is different here and there from that
    of the W3C but for the most part it is much the same.

    Anyway when I go through periods of having iCab as my default browser I
    notice that very very few web-sites cause iCab to smile.

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK
    patrick j, Oct 15, 2006
  16. John Paul

    K A Nuttall Guest

    John Paul wrote:

    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

    Dreamweaver 8 (design view and validator)
    FF 1.5
    IE (5, 5.5, 6)
    Opera 7.2
    IE Mac 5.2

    --
    K A Nuttall
    www.yammer.co.uk
    K A Nuttall, Oct 15, 2006
  17. John Paul

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    patrick j <> wrote:

    > I do like to look at the site in other people's computers if possible.
    > It is amazing how different a web-site can look with a different
    > monitor.

    One of the most striking, but perhaps least important things, is
    the look of the text. Under many font sizes (not larger ones), is
    the splotchiness. Even on late model machines on LCD screens with
    the Windows system font-smoothing turned on. I think it is not
    something that Windows folk are much aware of because it is not
    so bad that it stands out without coming straight from the
    marvelous Mac OS X implementation. I have noticed this especially
    with LCD screens but also CRTs. Last night I saw a site of mine
    on a brand new Winbox, brand new quality LCD and set up by a very
    competent old hand, immedietely obvious to me, not to my friend
    who had not just come from a Mac. Arial was the font, Firefox was
    the browser.

    I mention this here to see if anyone can suggest a useful,
    reasonable workaday font that is least subject to this
    "bit-mapping" effect.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 15, 2006
  18. John Paul

    patrick j Guest

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:45:42 +0100, dorayme wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > I mention this here to see if anyone can suggest a useful,
    > reasonable workaday font that is least subject to this
    > "bit-mapping" effect.

    It is very true that the fonts are displayed surprisingly differently
    in different monitors. The whole feel of them changes greatly.

    I've been testing out different "preferred" fonts on my one web-site. I
    had Arial for a few days but on some computers that looked very thin
    and weak. Now I've got Trebuchet MS and I'm going to see how that
    appears.

    Because I work in an office environment 2.5 days in the week it is
    quite a good opportunity to check out my web-site on different
    monitors. They all have Windows but across the office is a variety of
    screens. This is a very useful situation :)

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK
    patrick j, Oct 15, 2006
  19. John Paul

    Ben Jamieson Guest

    On 2006-10-13 14:40:07 -0400, "John Paul" <> said:

    > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John Paul.

    Safari: Mac OS X
    Firefox : Mac OS X
    IE 6.x : Win XP
    IE 5.5: Win 2k

    --
    Thyme Online Ltd
    Caribbean Web Design
    Ben Jamieson, Oct 16, 2006
  20. John Paul

    Ben Jamieson Guest

    On 2006-10-15 11:19:12 -0400, "George L. Sexton"
    <> said:

    > and most importantly:
    >
    > validator.w3.org

    Huh? is that a browser?