Browsers for testing your web site in?

Jonathan N. Little

Travis said:
Hardly a useful comparison. The entertainment industry and Flash are a
marrage made in Heaven.

Think you missed my point, the issue was not about Flash.

Dave (from the UK)

Andy said:
Travis Newbury wrote:

The trouble with that as a statement is that too many will read it as
"IE" and that's no test at all. It's not even much better if you use IE
_and_ FF -- what about validation?

And what about on mobile devices? I recently found a site which had a
link where one could download a chess game. The file should be a .pgn
extension. For some reason it was saved at .php on my PDA with IE on it.

FWIW, I'm using Mozilla:

Welcome to Mozilla 1.7 for Sun Java™ Desktop System

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; SunOS sun4u; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/2006012

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form: (e-mail address removed)

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

Jonathan N. Little

Dave said:
Welcome to Mozilla 1.7 for Sun Java™ Desktop System

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; SunOS sun4u; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/2006012

You might want to 'upgrade' to SeaMonkey, mozilla.org stopped support of
Mozilla at 1.7.12(?) and now puts all effort into Firefox. SeaMonkey now
continues the 'suite' and incorporates the current security patches and
features of the latest Firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org/seamonkey

Ed Mullen

Travis said:
We have no problems finding work. (We create Flash based WEB
applications for the entertainment industry)

I know the exact reason for the validation errors. It is Flash and the
object tag. And because of interaction between flash objects, we can
not use that validating workaround as IE is forced to load the entire
object before it runs and we need the interaction to start running
from the moment the Flash start to load.

Regarding validation of HTML pages containing Flash:

http://edmullen.net/fclock.html

That page does validate at w3.org as 4.01 Strict.

Also, http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

Just FYI, not sure if this addresses all the issues you have with
validating HTML with a Flash object.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Travis Newbury

http://edmullen.net/fclock.html
That page does validate at w3.org as 4.01 Strict.
Also,http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/
Just FYI, not sure if this addresses all the issues you have with
validating HTML with a Flash object.

We use this method most of the time. And if IE did not require that
the entire flash be loaded before running (as is does with this method)
it would be the perfect solution. But in the cases of multiple flash
objects that need to speak to each other as soon as they start to load
it makes it useless or us.

BUT I wold suggest if for most Flash pages. Also, now that FF and IE
both use the new external interface for flash, it makes it even easier
to have the flash interact with the web page.