Browsers XSLT handling when there are two xml-stylesheet PI

gdelfino

I have an XML file which I transform into XHTML using stylesheetA.xsl.
I also have stylesheetB.xsl which transforms my XML file into an Excel
XML document.

As both Excel and most new browsers have a built in XSTL engine, I
decided to add the stylesheet information to the original XML file.
Like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="stylesheetA.xsl" type="text/xsl" media="excel"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="stylesheetB.xsl" type="text/xsl"
media="screen"?>
<blahblah>
.... etc ...
</blahblah>

When I open the XML file with Excel, it asks me which of the two
stylesheets to use, which is great.

When I use Firefox 1.5.0.1 to open the XML file, it just uses the
*second* stylesheet (stylesheetB.xls) without asking. So far so good.

Internet Explorer 6, and Safari 2.0.3 use the *first* stylesheet (the
wrong one) without asking.

So, if I am to embbed the stylesheet information, I need to do it one
way for Firefox, and in a different way for Internet Explorer and
Safari.

It seems to me that:

1) Firefox should use the first stylesheet, like Intenet Explorer and
Safari.

2) The media attribute should be used to allow all applications know
which stylesheet to use. I invented the media="excel", but I understand
that web browsers should choose the stylesheet with the media="screen"
attribute.

Any comments?

Regards,

Gustavo Delfino
Caracas, Venezuela

Andy Dingley

On 3 Mar 2006 15:10:32 -0800, "(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

How about trying this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="stylesheetB.xsl" type="text/xsl"
<?xml-stylesheet href="stylesheetA.xsl" type="text/xsl" media="excel"?>

I'm guessing that Excel asks, Firefox looks at the media attribute and
IE just grabs the first.

gdelfino

If I do it that way, Excel asks, IE and Safari grab the first one, but
Firefox incorrectly uses the second one.