    Paulo Guest

    Can asp detect what browser the user is running? Any fix should be done for
    each one?

    Paulo, Aug 6, 2008

  2. "Paulo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can asp detect what browser the user is running? Any fix should be done
    > for each one?

    Yes. Request.ServerVariables(" HTTP_USER_AGENT") will get the browser
    details. No fix is required for ASP, as it is processed on the web server,
    and is not affected by the browser.

    --
    Mike Brind
    MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Mike Brind [MVP], Aug 6, 2008

  3. Paulo

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Mike Brind [MVP]" <> wrote:

    >"Paulo" <> wrote in message
    >> Can asp detect what browser the user is running? Any fix should be done
    >> for each one?

    >Yes. Request.ServerVariables(" HTTP_USER_AGENT") will get the browser
    >details. No fix is required for ASP, as it is processed on the web server,
    >and is not affected by the browser.

    But bear in mind that the USER_AGENT string can be forged. There's no
    way to be 100% sure of the client browser.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(Shell/User)

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

    Tim Slattery, Aug 6, 2008
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Paulo" <>
    writing in news::

    > Can asp detect what browser the user is running? Any fix should be
    > done for each one?

    As Mike said, HTTP_USER_AGENT - and if your markup is well formed, you
    should not have to do browser sniffing (yuk!).

    Please be aware, also, that some UAs will say they are something else,
    Opera and IIRC Firefox can both change their string on the fly.
    Additionally, what about new browsers and newer versions of current
    browsers. That way madness lies.

    Here's something I really hate - "You browser is not supported by this
    web site. You need at least Internet Explorer 5, or Netscape to view
    this site". I am using Opera 9.51 - waaaayyy past IE5 and Netscape -
    Paaleeeze!

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services