Browsers

Paulo

Can asp detect what browser the user is running? Any fix should be done for
each one?

Mike Brind [MVP]

Paulo said:
Can asp detect what browser the user is running? Any fix should be done
for each one?

Yes. Request.ServerVariables(" HTTP_USER_AGENT") will get the browser
details. No fix is required for ASP, as it is processed on the web server,
and is not affected by the browser.

Tim Slattery

Yes. Request.ServerVariables(" HTTP_USER_AGENT") will get the browser
details. No fix is required for ASP, as it is processed on the web server,
and is not affected by the browser.

But bear in mind that the USER_AGENT string can be forged. There's no
way to be 100% sure of the client browser.

Adrienne Boswell

Can asp detect what browser the user is running? Any fix should be
done for each one?

As Mike said, HTTP_USER_AGENT - and if your markup is well formed, you
should not have to do browser sniffing (yuk!).

Please be aware, also, that some UAs will say they are something else,
Opera and IIRC Firefox can both change their string on the fly.
Additionally, what about new browsers and newer versions of current
browsers. That way madness lies.

Here's something I really hate - "You browser is not supported by this
web site. You need at least Internet Explorer 5, or Netscape to view
this site". I am using Opera 9.51 - waaaayyy past IE5 and Netscape -
Paaleeeze!