Bruce Eckel's CD

Discussion in 'C++' started by arnuld, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    Hi,

    recently i downloaded "Thinking in C" CD from Bruce Eckel's web-site
    as i wanted to learn C++ from his book "Thinking in C++". the CD did
    not play well on my LIGNUX distro (well it's my term, LIGNUX, a cure
    for whether LINUX or GNU/Linux.) Eckel's CD is based on Flash 7 & i had
    Flash 7 plugin already installed. after struggling with it for 5 days i
    finally managed to paly it & play it well. so i am posting my solution
    so that others can save their precious time as folks of this group
    always helped me in solving my problems :). originally i asked this
    question on "comp.os.linux.misc" & nobody replied to it. anyway here is
    the solution:

    my distro: Debian Sarge x86. (CD does not work even on Fedora). Flash
    7 plugin installed in my home directory i.e. in .mozilla/plugins/. Get
    Flash 7 for LIGNUX by google-ing.

    SOLUTION:

    i found that the links to the lectures in the "index" page in "Thinking
    in C" CD point to the HTML file of that particular chapter e.g. if i
    click on "Start Lecture" for chapter 1 then this link is pointing to
    "this-is-path/thinking-in-c/html/chap1/Lecture.html". then i went down
    into that chap1 folder abd saw that there was also a "Lecture.swf"
    file. i right-clicked it played it in Mozilla & it played.

    so i only changed the links in "index" file to point to ".swf" files
    instead of "html" files e.g
    "this-is-path/thinking-in-c/html/chap1/Lecture.html" changed to
    "this-is-path/thinking-in-c/html/chap1/Lecture.swf". Original page
    works well in WINDOWS but only modified page works in LIGNUX.

    thanks

    "arnuld"
    arnuld, Aug 8, 2006

  2. arnuld

    Noah Roberts Guest

    arnuld wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > recently i downloaded "Thinking in C" CD from Bruce Eckel's web-site
    > as i wanted to learn C++ from his book "Thinking in C++".

    Then you should download that book. Why did you download a book about
    a language other than the one you want to learn?
    Noah Roberts, Aug 8, 2006

  3. arnuld

    Guest

    Noah Roberts wrote:
    > arnuld wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > recently i downloaded "Thinking in C" CD from Bruce Eckel's web-site
    > > as i wanted to learn C++ from his book "Thinking in C++".

    > Then you should download that book. Why did you download a book about
    > a language other than the one you want to learn?

    Yes, that certainly is confusing. Yoy wanted to learn C++ from
    "Thinking in C++," so you downloaded "Thinking in C " ??
    , Aug 8, 2006
  4. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    Noah Roberts wrote:

    > Then you should download that book. Why did you download a book about
    > a language other than the one you want to learn?

    yeah, i downloaded it 1 week ago but i was struggling with chapter 3 "C
    in C++" that is why i downloaded the CD. anyway. His book is good. i
    was reading "C++ primer" 3/e & it took me 45 minutes to run 2
    programmmes. with "TICPP" i took 30 second to create the programme in
    my mind. it seems Bruce fits into my cognitive-process.

    I remember you Noah, you helped me lot (reagrding Knuth's book, i still
    owe many thanks to you). by the way,are you a woman or a man, not a C++
    specific question ;-), just asking.

    thanks

    "arnuld"
    arnuld, Aug 9, 2006
  5. arnuld

    mlimber Guest

    arnuld wrote:
    > Noah Roberts wrote:

    [snip]
    > I remember you Noah, [...] by the way,are you a woman or a man [...]

    <OT>I've never met (virtually or otherwise) a woman named after a
    Hebrew patriarch (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah), and according
    to the US's Social Security Administration
    (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames), in the last 100 years, Noah has
    never registered in the top 1000 as a girl's name but has every year
    for boy's names. I'd say you can make a good guess based on that
    information. :) </OT>

    Cheers! --M
    mlimber, Aug 9, 2006
  6. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    mlimber wrote:

    > <OT>I've never met (virtually or otherwise) a woman named after a
    > Hebrew patriarch (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah), and according
    > to the US's Social Security Administration
    > (http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames), in the last 100 years, Noah has
    > never registered in the top 1000 as a girl's name but has every year
    > for boy's names. I'd say you can make a good guess based on that
    > information. :) </OT>

    Ha...Ha....great..m..i liked it :)

    ok...i got it.

    > Cheers! --M