Brucies original stuff anyone?

richard

Anyone got a link to brucies site?
I'm looking for the one thing he did awhile back in which he had a scrolling
table.
I want to try it with the presentation I'm going to use on my website.
Rather than using iframes.
Even if I do wind up using iframes for faster loading, I would still need
the scrolling table.

Nico Schuyt

richard said:
Anyone got a link to brucies site?
I'm looking for the one thing he did awhile back in which he had a
scrolling table.
I want to try it with the presentation I'm going to use on my website.
Rather than using iframes.
Even if I do wind up using iframes for faster loading, I would still
need the scrolling table.

Do you mean a scrollable table with fixed header?
Have a look at
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/nonscroll-table-header.html

Andy Dingley

Beauregard said:
There is no JavaScript at that page.

Read the CSS very carefully. There's a funky CSS "expression" to use
JScript to set one of the positioning properties. Pure IE-only
non-standard horror, but it degrades nicely and there's no reason why
it shouldn't be used with all browsers. That page is a good piece of
work - carefully done.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Nico Schuyt:
Do you mean a scrollable table with fixed header?
Have a look at
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/nonscroll-table-header.html

This is from somebody who knows nothing - basically a dilettante.

I've got an application in which I use frames to present a godawful-long list of
thumbnails. User clicks a thumbnail, details appear... www.wchs59.com

I know that frames are the spawn of satan and all that - but I decided to use a
frame just because it did what needed doing I didn't want to make a career out
of figuring out the right way.

Could that table contain thumbnails in one column? i.e. Could I adapt the
technique to replace my frame?

A "line" in my frame looks like this:

Andy Dingley

(PeteCresswell) said:
Could that table contain thumbnails in one column?

Yes. It's just a <td> in there, and anything that's legal to put in a

There's a usability issue about any "letterbox" design such as this,
where you put major UI components into a restricted space. This one is
quite well done though - it prints nicely. Just make sure that the
overall size of the table viewport tracks the browser window size if
you resize it. It's most annoying if you give the window plenty of
space but the crucial part insists on cowering in a corner.

jojo

(PeteCresswell) said:
This is from somebody who knows nothing - basically a dilettante.

I hope you mean yourself and not the one how created that table... It
really is some nice work.
I've got an application

application? with HTML?? not really...
in which I use frames to present a godawful-long list of
thumbnails.

which are bigger than they are displayed. why don't you reduce the sice
of the images to the size they are displayed with? needs less time to
load...
User clicks a thumbnail, details appear... www.wchs59.com

fix your validation-errors:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.wchs59.com/
I know that frames are the spawn of satan and all that - but I decided to use a
frame just because it did what needed doing

Erm... and what is it that "needed doing"? displaying Information if you
click on a thumbnail? that did not require frames...
I didn't want to make a career out of figuring out the right way.

the right way for what? and what is the right way? do you know it?

You can. simply put the said:
A "line" in my frame looks like this:

I do not really think it's a paragraph... so why do you use a <p> here?
I would say it's a list... so use <ul> and <li> here.

HTH, jojo

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Andy said:
Read the CSS very carefully. There's a funky CSS "expression" to use
JScript to set one of the positioning properties.

Yes, as I acknowledged that in the other thread. How many would expect
to find JavaScript in a CSS file? :)
Pure IE-only non-standard horror, but it degrades nicely and there's
no reason why it shouldn't be used with all browsers. That page is a
good piece of work - carefully done.

I'll agree; it is a nicely-done page.

dorayme

jojo said:
You can easily change that... just practise, practise, practise. HTML
and CSS is not that difficult to understand.

Yeah? How come a being like me who solved Rubik's Cube in 1985 by
myself, who cracked The Desert Problem using only logic and
simple mathematical reasoning, who solved the Guardian chess
puzzle of The Missing King, who can usually do the hardest of the
Sudokus, always finds it challenging and needs spoon-feeding at
every turn by you lot?

Sid

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:08:44 +1000, dorayme

: In article <[email protected]>,
:
: > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
: >
: > >> I hope you mean yourself
: > >
: > > absolutely
: >
: > You can easily change that... just practise, practise, practise. HTML
: > and CSS is not that difficult to understand.
:
: Yeah? How come a being like me who solved Rubik's Cube in 1985 by
: myself, who cracked The Desert Problem using only logic and
: simple mathematical reasoning, who solved the Guardian chess
: puzzle of The Missing King, who can usually do the hardest of the
: Sudokus, always finds it challenging and needs spoon-feeding at
: every turn by you lot?

There's a bakery around my corner that sells humble pie. Try it.

Sid

dorayme

Sid said:
There's a bakery around my corner that sells humble pie. Try it.

Sid

Ouch Sid! You would deny me boasting about these tiny little
achievements in a world where earthlings regularly strut on Nobel
stages, Logie platforms, Olympic daises...?

Sid

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:54:34 +1000, dorayme

: In article <[email protected]>,
:
: > There's a bakery around my corner that sells humble pie. Try it.
: >
: > Sid
:
: Ouch Sid! You would deny me boasting about these tiny little
: achievements in a world where earthlings regularly strut on Nobel
: stages, Logie platforms, Olympic daises...?

:)) OK - shout once each 5 years.

Sid