bubblesort question

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ray Leon, Jul 19, 2008.

  1. Ray Leon

    Ray Leon Guest

    LESSON 8

    Dear Sirs or Madam:

    I need some assistance with a bubble sort question that I have completed and
    think to be correct. I am just a bit unsure since there is an additional
    pass (4th pass) in the original question (below), which make me wonder if
    there is something I left out. Any help is greatly appreciated. The actual
    document and arrows showing the sorts I have uploaded to my website:

    http://www.popeyeray.com/bubblesort.htm

    1. Consider an array with these elements: Pebbles, Barney, Wilma, Fred and
    Dino. Apply the bubble sort technique to sort the array in alphabetical
    order. Show all passes. (List the order before and after each pass). (50
    points)

    Original List
    J = 1

    J = 2

    J = 3

    J = 4

    Pebbles

    Barney

    Barney

    Barney

    Barney

    First
    Barney

    Pebbles

    Pebbles

    Pebbles

    Pebbles

    Pass
    Wilma

    Wilma

    Wilma

    Fred

    Fred

    Fred

    Fred

    Fred

    Wilma

    Dino

    Dino

    Dino

    Dino

    Dino

    Wilma

    J = 1

    J = 2

    J = 3

    Barney

    Barney

    Barney

    Barney

    Second
    Pebbles

    Fred

    Fred

    Fred

    Pass
    Fred

    Pebbles

    Dino

    Dino

    Dino

    Dino

    Pebbles

    Pebbles

    Wilma

    Wilma

    Wilma

    Wilma

    Barney

    Barney

    Barney

    Third
    Fred

    Dino

    Dino

    Pass
    Dino

    Fred

    Fred

    Pebbles

    Pebbles

    Pebbles

    Wilma

    Wilma

    Wilma

    Fourth

    Pass

    Ray Leon, Jul 19, 2008

  2. "Ray Leon" <> wrote in message
    > LESSON 8
    >
    > Dear Sirs or Madam:
    >
    > I need some assistance with a bubble sort question that I have completed
    > and think to be correct. I am just a bit unsure since there is an
    > additional pass (4th pass) in the original question (below), which make me
    > wonder if there is something I left out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    > The actual document and arrows showing the sorts I have uploaded to my
    > website:
    >
    > http://www.popeyeray.com/bubblesort.htm
    >
    > 1. Consider an array with these elements: Pebbles, Barney, Wilma, Fred and
    > Dino. Apply the bubble sort technique to sort the array in alphabetical
    > order. Show all passes. (List the order before and after each pass). (50
    > points)

    [ SNIP ]

    You need one pass where there are no swaps in order for the algorithm to
    know that it's done.

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Jul 20, 2008