Buddy can you spare a dime (in minutes)?

Bob

Beau....this is alt.html....so everyone's foing web pages....LET'S SEE
THEM.......

you got nothing but bullshit.......

Oh...here's another one of my programs.....www.1369.com/sc

you keep talking trash about me and my programs.....without explaining
anything, of course....I'll do the development..

You talk trash...I build neatly done business enhancing web
programs.....

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Nov 15, 8:01 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.html
From: "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[email protected]> - Find
messages by this author
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:01:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Buddy can you spare a dime (in minutes)?
original | Report Abuse

Hey Beau-disregard.....
Let's see what you got!

Fucking diarrhea mouth.....

YOU GOT NOTHING

Oooh, Bob. You are soooo funny! I look forward to your posts, to
brighten up this otherwise dull Monday.

C'mon, fly up to Rochester, NY and I'll take you 'round to all the
companies running my applications. Let me know the flight number and I
will meet you at the airport.

You still refuse to address any points about your site though. That is
quite comical...

Bob

Well let's see........I got 1,000 web pages to show......most are
smartly and neatly laid out for some type of business user....even my
person web site which I made is 1995 is neatly laid out......

You got NOTHING TO SHOW.... That's zilch...nada...none.

So I'm 1,000 pages and your a zero......

Don't strain your brain.....but maybe you should be re-thinking you
standing in the web page world.

Just a hint mind you...I know how defensive and aggressive young guys
are when they are total losers trying to put up a big front.

But that has nothing to do with you...Mister Zero-Nada-None

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Bob quothed:
Neredbojias.......I plead guilty in the first degree.......absolutely
positively blatantly obviously SIMPLE.

Bob

p.s., thanks for the comment

Kinda simple opening page, don't you think? The aesthetics aren't.
I'd
suggest analyzing some better pro pages to get a feel for it.

Why don't you post with replied-to text leading? I ask this non-
maliciously but it does make it easier to follow the conversation.

Anyway, I had trouble understanding your reply. Do you agree that the
page is *too* simple or are you satisfied with its pristine simplicity?

....And for my gratuitous comment of the day (minute?), arguments of the
sort recently conducted are rarely confidence-builders for anyone.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bob said:
Well let's see........I got 1,000 web pages to show......most are
smartly and neatly laid out for some type of business user....

Everyone who has responded to you has told you that your pages are crap.
Nothing "smartly and neatly" about them.
even my
person web site which I made is 1995 is neatly laid out......

You got NOTHING TO SHOW.... That's zilch...nada...none.

So I'm 1,000 pages and your a zero......

A thousand pages, eh? Ok, that's probably about twice as many as I
have. But mine work, and look nice, too.
Don't strain your brain.....but maybe you should be re-thinking you
standing in the web page world.

Just a hint mind you...I know how defensive and aggressive young guys
are when they are total losers trying to put up a big front.

But that has nothing to do with you...Mister Zero-Nada-None

You were the one who came here asking for critique. All I can say is
that you got it.

Toby Inkster

Bob said:

1. I click on Chef's Salad $5.99.

My choice of salad was fairly arbitrary. There doesn't seem to
be any explanation of the difference between each salad. I
know what a Caesar salad is, but I don't have any idea what
the Chef puts in his salad, or how that differs from a House
Salad.

2. I click on Italian dressing. All is well.

FORM SAYS: Salads have a short description and they may also
have a long description.

I SAY: That's good to know. Now could you explain when a salad
would need to have a long description? And what information
should go into each description? Why can't a salad just have a
single description?

3. I hit the "Order" button to the right of the salad I've chosen.

PROBLEM: The salad I've chosen goes away -- the form seems
to have been reset. Perhaps my choice has been stored on
the server and added to some shopping cart; but there is
no visual indication of this.

Oh well, I'll try again.

4. I click on Chef's Salad $5.99.
5. I click on Italian dressing. All is well.
6. I hit the "Order" button to the right of the salad I've chosen.

PROBLEM: Perhaps I'm going crazy. The form has been reset and
I still don't seem to have a salad.

Oh well, I've gone off the idea of salad now anyway. I'll
just get a pizza.

7. I was going to get a small, but as I won't be having a salad to
start, I'll go for a medium.
8. Choose Pepperoni, Onion and Green Peppers. Yum! Price $11.14.
9. Notice that large seems to be cheaper that medium!?!? Click on "Large"
pizza.

PROBLEM: Oh no, the form seems to have reset -- my chosen
toppings have disappeared.

10. Choose Pepperoni, Onion and Green Peppers. Yum! Price $10.74.
11. Click the "Order" button.

PROBLEM: Again, the form is blank. My order has gone. Where is
it?

Hmmm... perhaps this is supposed to happen? Maybe the items
have gone into a shopping cart after all?

12. Click the "Review and Send In Order" link.

There are two salads and a large pizza listed. I can't eat all
that!

(OK: I can. But I won't.)

13. Remove one of the salads.

This seems to work nicely.

14. Fill in my name.
15. Fill in a phone number.

PROBLEM: The form seems to insist on a 10 digit phone number. Mine
is 11 digits (most UK phone numbers are) even without the country
code.

Oh well, I'll include my real number in the notes field below.

16. Choose "Deliver" (if I was eating in, why would I be ordering online?)
17. Choose "Cash".
18. Success. Yay!

It works, but it sure ain't no Amazon 1-Click shopping! If I were you I'd
improve visual feedback. When you order an item, there is no visual clue
that it's gone into a shopping basket somewhere.

dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)

If you want to see some of my work, it's at
http://kibo.org.uk/downloads.php - suck it and see, big boy. You're
still in Little League.

Quite right hj, all of it! And I liked the pussy cat too at the
url you give... Bob is a mean horrid thing and I am a bit
jealous of your opportunity to tell him a couple of truths...
Some guys just get all the luck.

Bob

Toby, I appreciate your efforts is taking the time to order a few items
and complete the order and then give me your ideas.

I don't disagree with you about the visual cue that you have ordered
something.....Is it really possible to make a "perfect" order taking
system? I've purchased from Dell and eBay and Compuserve and they all
are missing something as much as I am.

try a second order....your name will already be there....and you are
also right about your telephone number.....how about "zero-filling" the
spaces.....I know my program is not perfect and neither am I.

The fact is....you could have clicked on the "Help" link and all-any
questions would probably be answered...not that I'm given an "OK"
because I put the help screen there. My goal and yours should be to be
absolutely intuitive such that the user can figure out how to use it
without Help or anything else. But doing that and saying that are very
different......

What I say is "I can't make a program that is 100% intuitive.....but
yet...any questions people have of the program I can usually answer in
4-5 seconds". And the Help screen is there as well. I think I have
achieved this level of in-tuitiveness.

If people spend 2-3 minutes as you did "figuring out" how to use the
program I think this is acceptable. Do you agree? Mildly agree?
Disagree? Vehemently disagree?

Let me know.

Best regards...and thanks again,

Bob Sweeney

Bob said:
If people spend 2-3 minutes as you did "figuring out" how to use the
program I think this is acceptable. Do you agree? Mildly agree?
Disagree? Vehemently disagree?

Although I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a visitor to spend a few
minutes getting to grips with how a site works (especially if it's a
complex application) the fact is: it's not up to me; it's up to them; and
most visitors aren't prepared to do so.

Visitors expectations are that they will know how to use your website
straight away. If they've used it before, then good: they'll know.

If they've never used it before, then they're going to need to learn
almost instantly: and the way to do that is to make it work like every
other site they've used before; after all, your visitors spend 99% of
their time on other people's sites!

One ordering system I like is Insight UK's <http://uk.insight.com/>. When
you click the "Add to Order" button by a product, the screen shows you the
entire contents of your shopping cart, and allows you to either checkout
or continue shopping. As you move around the site, continuing to shop,
there is a small icon in the top right of the screen that displays the
total cost (minus tax and delivery) of your order. Clicking on the cart
icon brings you back to the cart listing at any time.

It's simple to use, and works in much the same way as Amazon, Play.com and
pretty much any other order system I've used. And I've not read any Help
pages at any of those sites.

(I also like Insight UK because my account manager there tends to give me
a pretty good deal.)

Stan McCann

I'd like to hear your comments on performance, ease of use, and any
other topic you choose. Please don't prove your un-professionalism
by making up dumb-ass criticisms. OK? It requires javascript and
that is the way I want it.

Thanks for the warning. I don't turn on javascript unless I'm grading
my students' javascript and that's the way I want it. Never *require*
javascript.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mark said:
Wow. After reading all these posts, I was expecting a pimple-faced
15-year-old.

Sure surprised me, too. He *looks* like a responsible adult, doesn't he?

Maybe it's a picture of his dad...