Building 2.3 with tkinter on Linux

Discussion in 'Python' started by Abstractius, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. Abstractius

    Abstractius Guest

    Hello,

    I was able to unearth some ancient documentation suggesting Modules/Setup
    has to be edited by hand (after ./configure) to compile tkinter. The short
    info at http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/download.html doesn't mention
    this, instead it is a bit contradictory first stating that tk is part of
    python and then that Unix users must download and build Tcl and Tk (which I
    did for the latest versions 8.4.4). In all cases, I wasn't able to use
    tkinter with the minimal ./configure;make procedure, even after building
    tcl/tk, despite a variety of tk-related files in my lib and include
    directories. Instead, manually editing Modules/Setup did the trick. Have I
    missed any shortcuts or other obvious piece of documentation?

    I've also found it a bit strange that the default build, despite fully
    functional debugging facilities (AFAIK), would show as "Debugger not
    functional" in Komodo. In another apparent contradiction, I was able to
    follow the debugging tutorial in Komodo. This didn't change even when I
    tried ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-pydebug.
    Any insights most appreciated.

    Abstractius, Aug 30, 2003