building _tkinter module with .NET 2005?

joshusdog

I have the Python 2.5.1 source and I'm trying to build the debug
version of the _tkinter module. I've got .NET 2005 (Visual Studio 8)
but the instructions in the pcbuild\readme.txt file only contain
instructions for using .NET 2003 (Visual Studio 7.1). There's another
readme.txt file under the pcbuild8 directory, but is almost identical
to the one in the pcbuild folder. (There's some information about some
new instrumented build settings, but that's about it)

The instructions contained in both these readme.txt files say that the
Tcl, Tk, and Tix projects must be built from the command line first,
using nmake.exe in conjunction with the corresponding makefile.vc for
each package. I can get this to work using .NET 2003, but not
with .NET 2005. Is there an updated set of instructions somewhere for
doing this with .NET 2005? Is it even possible to get it to work with
the newer version of .NET?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

The instructions contained in both these readme.txt files say that the
Tcl, Tk, and Tix projects must be built from the command line first,
using nmake.exe in conjunction with the corresponding makefile.vc for
each package. I can get this to work using .NET 2003, but not
with .NET 2005. Is there an updated set of instructions somewhere for
doing this with .NET 2005? Is it even possible to get it to work with
the newer version of .NET?

I can't help with compiling Tcl - the recommended compiler for Tcl is
still VC6, so VS 2005 might not be supported well (or not in the version
that we ship with Python). You should ask on a Tcl mailing list for
details.

However, I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify terminology and
naming: The product you are referring to is called "Microsoft Visual
Studio", with versions being "Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003"
and "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005". I.e. the .NET particle was only
present with the 2003 release; the common abbreviation is "VS", not
".NET". Indeed "a newer version of .NET" would commonly refer to
a version of the Microsoft .NET Framework (whose current version
is 3.0).

Regards,
Martin