building a e-commerce site

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by stig, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. stig

    stig Guest

    hi
    i am going to be part of building a e-commerce website, for this we
    think that perl might be the choice of language, mainly because we have
    experience from it. we have build smaller e-commerce sites, but this
    will be considerably larger.

    where should i begin to look to get answers to the following questions?
    1. modeling techniques, code re-use.
    2. presentation layer (html), how to build it fast and good, and then
    how to connect it well to the underlaying perl-scripts?
    3. is perl a good choice at all, if not, why and what should we look for?

    also, are there any open-source web-shops that one can begin from, and
    where can they be found?

    any particular book recommended?

    thanks in advance
    stig
    stig, Oct 28, 2003

  2. It was a dark and stormy night, and stig managed to scribble:

    > hi
    > i am going to be part of building a e-commerce website, for this we
    > think that perl might be the choice of language, mainly because we have
    > experience from it. we have build smaller e-commerce sites, but this
    > will be considerably larger.
    >
    > where should i begin to look to get answers to the following questions?
    > 1. modeling techniques, code re-use.
    > 2. presentation layer (html), how to build it fast and good, and then
    > how to connect it well to the underlaying perl-scripts?
    > 3. is perl a good choice at all, if not, why and what should we look for?

    See http://oscommerce.com/ for an open source PHP solution.

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, Oct 28, 2003

  3. stig

    Peter Cooper Guest

    "stig" <> wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > where should i begin to look to get answers to the following questions?
    > 1. modeling techniques, code re-use.
    > 2. presentation layer (html), how to build it fast and good, and then
    > how to connect it well to the underlaying perl-scripts?

    You didn't ask this, but I have found it to be, perhaps, even more important
    than good Perl programming.

    Good SQL programming, database design, and database management.

    You claim this is going to be 'considerably larger' than what you've done
    before, so a database is probably going to be pretty crucial. Of course, you
    might all be database experts, in which case you'll be fine.. but if you're
    not, I'd devote more energy to the database than to your Perl programming at
    this early stage.

    > 3. is perl a good choice at all, if not, why and what should we look for?

    Amazon uses Perl. That doesn't mean it's the best choice, but it's a good
    one. I'd steer clear of PHP unless you're truly in tune with it. PHP's
    natural style seems to encourage people to tie together logic and
    presentation, which is "bad."

    You might also consider looking at using XML-RPC or Soap based RPC systems
    for keeping your presentation systems and logic systems separate. This can
    also help a lot with modelling and code reuse, since if you have a solid
    'backend' accessible through, say, XML-RPC, it's possibly to build multiple
    clients, trash existing clients, and do whatever you like.. keeping
    presentation and logic truly separate.

    Good luck,
    Pete
    Peter Cooper, Oct 29, 2003