Building a GUI using NetBeans platform (not Netbeans IDE !)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Pimousse, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Pimousse

    Pimousse Guest

    Hi everybody,

    My aim is to build a GUI. As I'm neither a senior java programmer nor a
    junior one (somewhere between the two ..), I'm looking for making my life
    easier ;o)
    (Hope you'll understand what I mean as i'm not a native english speaker)

    I've done in the past few years several GUIs in Swing but the results
    weren't as good as expected : indeed, i found swing really hard to
    manipulate ...

    I heard about NetBeans Platform as a framework on which I could build my gui
    : I went on the website, downloaded the packages, understood that i'd have
    to developp modules etc ...
    But as I haven't got a lot of time to read amounts of docs, i'm looking for
    examples, or a doc that explicitly explain how to do a module .... Sth like
    a beginner howto ;o)
    Actually, I have to quickly decide if I'll use the netbeans platform to
    developp or no : convince me ! :eek:)

    Bonus question : about SWT : is it possible to include swing code in SWT ?
    <-- i'm not asking fot the eternal discusses swt / swing ... :eek:)

    @++
    Pimousse
    Pimousse, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Pimousse wrote:
    > I've done in the past few years several GUIs in Swing but the results
    > weren't as good as expected : indeed, i found swing really hard to
    > manipulate ...

    The problem is really not Swing. If you ever had to work with such
    atrocities like xview, you would know what I am talking about. Or to
    take another example, a simple button in CDE/Motif has approx. 200 [sic]
    configurable attributes. A Swing JButton only approx. 50. So Swing is
    four times simpler than Motif :))) And this of course does not address
    the interdependencies between widgets (e.g. if the window resizes, who
    should stick with whom?).

    The real problem is that developing good(!) GUIs is hard, in multiple
    dimensions. It requires a wide range of experience and competence, from
    "good taste" via a feeling for the small details to in-depth knowledge
    of your toolkit's API and style guide. You have to get a lot of things
    right to even get an acceptable GUI.

    > I heard about NetBeans Platform as a framework

    I think you are about to make it even harder. Using a framework requires
    of course to understand the framework. And, in the not unlikely event
    that your framework doesn't do exactly what you want, you might find
    yourself in the unfortunate position of having to go down one level -
    back to Swing. So you might end up with having to know the framework and
    having to know Swing.

    I would suggest you take the challenge and learn Swing from the ground up.

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Pimousse

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:33:47 +0200, "Pimousse"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I've done in the past few years several GUIs in Swing but the results
    >weren't as good as expected : indeed, i found swing really hard to
    >manipulate ...

    Check out Google for Karsten Lentzsch. This guy is a programmer with
    an artist's eye for how to create elegant GUIs. Read what he has to
    say.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 21, 2004