Building a Release of my Solution

tshad

In VS 2005, I have a Solution with 4 projects in it (one being my web
service).

I am trying to create a Release version of my project and can't get it to
work.

I go into the Properties of the Solution as well as the Windows Service, go
to Build and change the Configuration to Release, but it doesn't work.
There is no bin/release in my Windows Service project, only a bin/debug.

What is missing?

Thanks,

Tom

Hans Kesting

tshad laid this down on his screen :
In VS 2005, I have a Solution with 4 projects in it (one being my web
service).

I am trying to create a Release version of my project and can't get it to
work.

I go into the Properties of the Solution as well as the Windows Service, go
to Build and change the Configuration to Release, but it doesn't work. There
is no bin/release in my Windows Service project, only a bin/debug.

What is missing?

Thanks,

Tom

The Configuration Manager just sets what should be done for each
configuration.
In my system, there is a pulldown where you can select whether to build
in DEBUG or RELEASE mode. It's right next to the quickfind combobox.

Hans Kesting

tshad

Hans Kesting said:
tshad laid this down on his screen :

The Configuration Manager just sets what should be done for each
configuration.
In my system, there is a pulldown where you can select whether to build in
DEBUG or RELEASE mode. It's right next to the quickfind combobox.
That was it.

I thought since you could properties and change it (and it shows as changed)
it would work. But then it goes back to the debug mode. Very confusing.

Thanks,

Tom

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I thought since you could properties and change it (and it shows as changed)
!> it would work. But then it goes back to the debug mode. Very confusing.

The place to determine whether an app is compiled
as Release or Debug is in the app's web.config.

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true" />
or
<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" />
or
<compilation defaultLanguage="VB" debug="true" />
or
<compilation defaultLanguage="VB" debug="false" />

Whether compilation debug is set to "true" or "false", in web.config,
determines whether the assemblies are built in Debug or Release mode.

tshad

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
!> I thought since you could properties and change it (and it shows as
changed)
!> it would work. But then it goes back to the debug mode. Very
confusing.

The place to determine whether an app is compiled
as Release or Debug is in the app's web.config.

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true" />
or
<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" />
or
<compilation defaultLanguage="VB" debug="true" />
or
<compilation defaultLanguage="VB" debug="false" />

Whether compilation debug is set to "true" or "false", in web.config,
determines whether the assemblies are built in Debug or Release mode.
I didn't realize that.

What if you set the debug on each page? Would I need to reset all those to
get release mode? Or is it only in the web config.

Thanks,

Tom

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> What if you set the debug on each page?

You can't do that.
There's no page directive for debug *or* compilation.

re:
!> Would I need to reset all those to get release mode?

There's nothing to reset.

re:
!> Or is it only in the web config.

Yes, you can only set compilation debug="true"|"false" in the app's web.config.

tshad

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
!> What if you set the debug on each page?

You can't do that.
There's no page directive for debug *or* compilation.

Not true - unless that has changed from 1.1.

Here is some code I have done in the past:

<%@ Page Language="VB" trace="false" debug="true" ContentType="text/html"
ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" %>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

This allows you to set debugging for a particular page.

You can also set it in web.config, as you said. I believe (but could be
wrong here) that if you set debug=false in the web.config and set it to true
in a Page directive, this would override the web.config setting.

Tom

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Not true - unless that has changed from 1.1.
!> Here is some code I have done in the past:

When you do that, are *.pdb files generated for the page you set that directive for ?

re:
!> This allows you to set debugging for a particular page.

Here's what I believe to be true :

The only difference when setting Page debug="true", as opposed to false,
is that the complete compilation source is added to the generated error page.

That doesn't equate to the full debugging which is enabled in web.config,
which generates *.pdb files for true debugging, i.e., setting breakpoints, etc.

To enable full debugging you need to have the debug symbols ( pdb files ) generated.

I'm open to being corrected, though.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> That doesn't equate to the full debugging which is enabled in web.config,
!> which generates *.pdb files for true debugging, i.e., setting breakpoints, etc.

Let me take that back.

After further testing, I confirm thaty *.pdb files *are* generated in
the ASP.NET temporary files directory when page debug="true".

Sorry for the confusion. You are right.