Building a slideshow software in Java

abs

Hi people!

I'm building a photo slideshow software with synchronized music. I've
done lots of server-side java but I'm new in the client area, so a
little help is needed. My question is, is possible to read and show
jpeg, gif, etc... files with the classes that come with j2se 1.4 ? Is
JAI or JIMI needed for these tasks ? I'd like to do transitions with
effects (like in powerpoint files) between photos, too. Is possible to
read and play MP3 files in java with the j2se 1.4 classes ? A external
lib is necessary ? Can you give me some advice or point me to a website
with useful information ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew Thompson

I'm building a photo slideshow software with synchronized music. I've
done lots of server-side java but I'm new in the client area, so a
little help is needed. My question is, is possible to read and show
jpeg, gif, etc... files with the classes that come with j2se 1.4 ?

Yep. My software project has an image slideshow,
no extra packages required. (It is open source, but you
need to get the source straight from the jar file,
http://www.physci.org/PhySci.jar)

You can check it out straight from the site, it is
wrapped in JWS for easy install.

It currently has a memory leak that I have not had
time to track down (though I have a good idea where
it is now) but it will get you started.
Is
JAI or JIMI needed for these tasks ?

JIMI? Is that Hendrix or Page?
I'd like to do transitions with
effects (like in powerpoint files) between photos, too.

You will probably find classes at Marco Schmidt's
site for that.
http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java.html
Is possible to
read and play MP3 files in java with the j2se 1.4 classes ? A external
lib is necessary ?

Not lib, package, the JMF. Unfortunately Java begins
to get OS specific by that stage, there are different
packages for different platforms.
Can you give me some advice or point me to a website
with useful information ?

http://java.sun.com/ ..get the information straight
from the horses mouth.

HTH