Building an E-Commerce Site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Carl Gilbert, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Carl Gilbert

    Carl Gilbert Guest

    Hi

    I was looking to build an E-Commerce web site using ASP.NET. I work with
    VB.NET and know some HTML so I imagine the learning curve for ASP.NET
    shouldn't be too steep.

    I was looking for the best way to approach this task and came across the
    IBuySpy starter pack from Microsoft but felt the design fell somewhat short
    of the offerings from something like www.oscommerce.com
    I then found www.dotnetnuke.com but this seemed more like information sites
    rather than online stores.

    Then there's the book approach with something like 'Beginning ASP.Net 1.1
    E-Commerce: From Novice to Professional' (ISBN: 1590592549) which looks like
    it covers the whole process from start to finish.

    The more I think about it, the book seems like a safe bet and just let it
    guide me the process.

    So, the question is...

    Whats the best way to develop an E-Commerce site, with little experience in
    ASP.NET, and finish with a stylish, stable and user friendly site?

    Any thoughts and advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards, Carl

    Carl Gilbert, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Carl Gilbert

    DalePres Guest

    I can't find the article this evening, but Microsoft recently published an
    article, I believe on the Patterns and Practices site, suggesting not to use
    the starter packs for developing real world applications. As they pointed
    out, those apps are not robust or secure enough for the real word and the
    article author indicated that Microsoft was surprised at how many apps are
    showing up modeled after them.

    The recommendation is to use the patterns and practices Enterprise
    Development Reference Architecture for working examples of more reliable and
    secure code. You can start at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;872836.

    Hope this helps,

    DalePres
    MCAD, MCSE, MCDBA

    DalePres, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Carl Gilbert

    Alan Silver Guest

    >I can't find the article this evening, but Microsoft recently published
    >an article, I believe on the Patterns and Practices site, suggesting
    >not to use the starter packs for developing real world applications.
    >As they pointed out, those apps are not robust or secure enough for the
    >real word and the article author indicated that Microsoft was surprised
    >at how many apps are showing up modeled after them.

    Well, when I last looked at the P+P stuff, they specifically stated that
    they encouraged people to use the code!! They offered it as "best
    practice" code. I am amazed that they have the cheek to suggest that it
    wasn't meant to be used.

    Apart from which, sample code *always* gets used, even if you tell
    people not to. There's too much temptation for a lazy or inexperienced
    programmer to pick up on some working code and use it.

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Feb 9, 2005