Building extensions for python 2.6 adm64 with the SDK compiler

David Cournapeau

Hi,

I have some trouble building python 2.6 extensions with the SDK
compiler on windows 64 bits. The problem is that after link step,
mt.exe is called to embed the MANIFEST into the executable, but the
manifest is not created, so the build fails with a "general error
c1010070:Failed to load and parse the manifest". I am a bit confused:
- I thought that manifest should not be embedded in .pyd
(http://bugs.python.org/issue4120), but the code of msvc9compiler.py
in distutils suggests otherwise, and uses the option /MANIFESTFILE
(which only changes the name of the manifest, according to MSDN).
- Is this specific to the SDK compiler ? E.g. does the native VS
compiler on 64 bits have the same problem ? I guess not, because
people would have complained before, I guess.

If I manually add the /MANIFEST file to the link options, the build does work,

David