building from source

Rajinder Yadav

Do I need to consider anything if I were to build the latest 1.9 Ruby
stable from source. I currently have Ruby 1.8 installed using the
package manager on my Kubuntu.

I know I can install 1.9 from my package manager.
I am wondering what would happen, any adverse effect?

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://devmentor.org
Do Good! ~ Share Freely

Stefan Peters

Do I need to consider anything if I were to build the latest 1.9 Ruby
stable from source. =A0I currently have Ruby 1.8 installed using the
package manager on my Kubuntu.

Its very easy and fast (at least for 1.8.x i did it for some of our
older build machines). Just configure, compile and install [1]. Maybe
setup the PATH of your machine if you installed 1.9 into a separate
directory. Than you can easily delete if if 1.9 is available over the
package management.

Stefan

[1] http://www.rubyinside.com/how-to-start-playing-with-ruby-19-right-now-6=
61.html
(should be the same on Kubuntu)

Rajinder Yadav

Stefan said:
Do I need to consider anything if I were to build the latest 1.9 Ruby
stable from source. I currently have Ruby 1.8 installed using the
package manager on my Kubuntu.

Its very easy and fast (at least for 1.8.x i did it for some of our
older build machines). Just configure, compile and install [1]. Maybe
setup the PATH of your machine if you installed 1.9 into a separate
directory. Than you can easily delete if if 1.9 is available over the
package management.

I think I will start to play around with 1.9. I did a test install of Ruby
1.9+Gems from source on CentOS 5.3 running in VMWare. It was really easy and
fast to install.

Thanks for the link.

--
Kind Regards,