    online to start? Is there a list anywhere that states which phones are java
    compatible - and indeed allow you to install custom java apps on them?
    Thanks
    Lee, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Lee

    Yogo Guest

    Yogo, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Lee

    Tim Ward Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    news:iO9ed.135307$...

    > I would like to build java apps for mobile phones. Where's some good

    places
    > online to start? Is there a list anywhere that states which phones are

    java
    > compatible - and indeed allow you to install custom java apps on them?

    See here for some ideas for applications:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/mobile_java_peril/

    --
    Tim Ward
    Tim Ward, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    If I bought the correct lead (either USB or serial) for my phone and
    connected the phone to my PC how easy would it be to use java to access the
    functions of the phone via the lead? Ideally I would like to send SMS
    messages from my PC.
    Lee, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > If I bought the correct lead (either USB or serial) for my phone and
    > connected the phone to my PC how easy would it be to use java to access

    the
    > functions of the phone via the lead? Ideally I would like to send SMS
    > messages from my PC.

    anyone??

    btw, cheers for the above advice
    Lee, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Lee

    Tim Ward Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > If I bought the correct lead (either USB or serial) for my phone and
    > connected the phone to my PC how easy would it be to use java to access

    the
    > functions of the phone via the lead? Ideally I would like to send SMS
    > messages from my PC.

    (1) Find the documentation for your phone.
    (2) Read it.
    (3) Acquire any necessary driver software.
    (4) Write any necessary interface code to connect the driver to Java in a
    real language.

    .... of which (1) is likely to be the most difficult step. I would expect
    there to be a wide variety of mechanisms by now - last time I did this sort
    of thing some phones implemented an AT-style modem interface, with extended
    AT commands to send SMSs; this would typically require no low-level software
    on the PC beyond what you need to talk to the serial port, all the AT
    protocol handling can be done in Java.

    --
    Tim Ward
    Tim Ward, Oct 25, 2004