Building minimal latex from scratch?

Tom

I need a very, very minimal LaTeX system on Windows. I only need to
have the possibility to get DVI files out of my tex files (with minimal
fonts). An I need it without any installer (no settings in registry and
no or less enviroment variables).
I know this was asked a few time here but I haven't found any suitable
information yet. I posted some time ago under "minimal latex for
windows"
http://groups.google.de/group/comp....tem+for+windows&rnum=1&hl=de#6a9215ff0f7f6ba4
but the discussion went off topic after a while and didn't help me.
First I tried to cut down MikTex. I began to copy some files from my
properly installed MikTex to another computer which has no Tex system
and tried to run it from there. I copied the latex.exe and all Dll's
its depending on. Now it complains that it can not find its format
file. I guess the format file in Miktex is latex.efmt, and the path to
it is somewhere configured but I haven't found it.
I haven't found any definitve information what I really need for
running latex (a tex or latex executable, a format file, some fonts,
....?) and how I can assemble this on my own. Maybe someone can point me
to some information about how to do that.

__
Tom