Building minimal latex from scratch?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Tom, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I need a very, very minimal LaTeX system on Windows. I only need to
    have the possibility to get DVI files out of my tex files (with minimal
    fonts). An I need it without any installer (no settings in registry and
    no or less enviroment variables).
    I know this was asked a few time here but I haven't found any suitable
    information yet. I posted some time ago under "minimal latex for
    windows"
    http://groups.google.de/group/comp....tem for windows&rnum=1&hl=de#6a9215ff0f7f6ba4
    but the discussion went off topic after a while and didn't help me.
    First I tried to cut down MikTex. I began to copy some files from my
    properly installed MikTex to another computer which has no Tex system
    and tried to run it from there. I copied the latex.exe and all Dll's
    its depending on. Now it complains that it can not find its format
    file. I guess the format file in Miktex is latex.efmt, and the path to
    it is somewhere configured but I haven't found it.
    I haven't found any definitve information what I really need for
    running latex (a tex or latex executable, a format file, some fonts,
    ....?) and how I can assemble this on my own. Maybe someone can point me
    to some information about how to do that.

    __
    Tom

    Tom, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Sorry wrong group. I intended to post to comp.text.tex. Sorry.

    Tom, Jun 13, 2005