Building Multilingual Portal

Guest

Building Multilingual Portal

I have been assigned a new project to build a multilingual portal using
ASP.NET and the expected Microsoft technologies including C#, ADO.NET and SQL
Server 2000.

To date, all of my Web Solutions use ADO.NET to access data which is stored
in SQL SERVER. Given the need to develop a solution that is very easy to
localize, I wonder if now I should consider instead using XML rather than SQL
SERVER, or a combination of both.

If anyone has experience on this subject, or could point me to some
articles, suggesting alternative approaches to developing multilingual
portals using XML and/or SQL Server, that would be great. Thanks.

Tasos Vogiatzoglou

When you say multilingual, what do you mean ?

A culture sensitive application handles much more than simple language
matter (currency, number delimiters to name few).

If your main consideration is handling multilingual text it would be
fine to stay with SQL Server and use resource files for the
localization of your user interface.

Guest

Thanks Tasos. By "multiligual" i mean an ASP.NET site that uses "dynamically
generated templates" to display content in different languagaes, hence,
giving the appearence that there are multiple portals in different languages.

I am little lost as to when a good time would be to use XML rather than SQL
Server. Can you provide an example?

Thanks,