Building Net::SFTP support on solaris with libpari etc.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by depke@comcast.net, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I thought I would share my experience getting this to work for solaris.
    It seems that this has been a recurring problem.

    Net::SFTP depends upon Net::SSH(protocol 2). This in turn depends upon
    number of packages. But Math::pari was the fun one to build.
    Math::pari requires libpari. On my system(gcc version 3.4.3 SunOS 5.8)
    I was only able to build the "c" version of the library. There are
    tuned versions of the routines which use assembler. But I found that
    the
    assembler versions would not build on my compiler.

    So now I thought I was done, and if I were a patient person I would
    have
    been. The problem was that the key generation was horribly slow. After
    digging into which calls were taking so long I discovered that even
    though
    I had successfully installed Math::pari it wasn't being used.
    Apparently you
    need Math::BigInt::pari. This overrides the core of Math::BigInt with a
    pari
    implementation. So I tried this but I got the following error:
    _is_zero
    Not an ARRAY reference at
    /opt/local/perl/5.8/lib/5.8.6/Math/BigInt/Calc.pm line 998.
    I tried various combinations of Math::BigInt, Math::BigInt::pari
    versions
    but all failed for me.

    So then I decided to try Math::BigInt::GMP. I noticed that Crypt::DH
    actually
    prefers GMP(from DH.pm use Math::BigInt lib => "GMP,Pari";)
    I believe that part of building libpari I build libgmp. Also I read
    that
    Math::BigInt::GMP also replaces the slow implementation of BigInt with
    c code.

    Eureka! It finally worked. Although I never got pari supported, at
    least within
    SFTP, I did get SFTP working which was my goal. I hope this helps, here
    are
    the package versions I am running:

    Math::BigInt::GMP v1.17
    Math::GMP v2.04
    Math::pari v2.010602
    Math::BigInt v1.74
    Math::BigInt::pari v1.10 also tried v1.11
    Math::BigInt::GMP v1.17
    gmp-4.1
    pari-2.1.6

    Regards,