Building P2P system in Java

mako

Hi Guys . As a part of my college project, i have to build a Peer To
Peer file sharing system in Java. Can anyone tell me how should i
start. I tried studying the source code of Limewire but it was quite
difficult.

Madhur

Kira Yamato

Hi Guys . As a part of my college project, i have to build a Peer To
Peer file sharing system in Java. Can anyone tell me how should i
start. I tried studying the source code of Limewire but it was quite
difficult.

You can start by defining
1) the functionalities of your P2P application, and
2) the protocol of your P2P application.

Christian

mako said:
Hi Guys . As a part of my college project, i have to build a Peer To
Peer file sharing system in Java. Can anyone tell me how should i
start. I tried studying the source code of Limewire but it was quite
difficult.

Madhur

Think about what kind of p2p system you want ...

I think creating the overlay graph that you then use for communication
would be the first job.

Very easy might be a random Graph created by a pointer push and pull
operation.

---

when you did this you may want to create a sort of DHT on this random
graph ... if you want something state of the Art take a look at
distributed weighted hashing (i.e.
http://cone.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/pubs/WDHT.pdf ) .. probably not
to easy to code but they allow you very powerful searches in your p2p
network...

For filetransfer you could create a little instance of your random graph
to which all can join that want sth...
And then either wither use some BT like protocol or have a look at
Microsoft's Avalanche .. if you can implement Network Coding in in a
perfomant way this may rock.

Well the question is .. how large is the course .. how many hours can
how many people invest into the project.

Christian