Building Paper, Rock, Scissors

TooNaive

Hello all,

I'm taking a C class and am having to write a program to play a game
of rock, paper scissors, and with the output of:

You chose paper and I chose rock. You Win

where paper is the players choice, and rock is the computers choice,
for reference i was given the p_r_s.h, compare.c, main.c, selection.c,
and wrt.c, and i have had to build the report.c to describe the
output. I will post what i have so far in this venture, but when i
compile i keep getting 2 fatal errors and i cannot figure out what to
do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The files are as
follows:

the report.c file that i am working on is this:

report.c file

#include "p_r_s.h"

void report(outcome result, int *win_cnt_ptr, int *lose_cnt_ptr, int
*tie_cnt_ptr,
p_r_s player_choice, p_r_s machine_choice)

{
switch (result) {
case win:
++*win_cnt_ptr;
if (player_choice == paper)
printf("%27sYou chose paper I chose rock. You win.\n", "");
else if (player_choice == rock)
printf("%27sYou chose rock I chose scissors. You win.\n", "");
else if (player_choice == scissors)
printf("%27sYou chose scissors I chose paper. You win.\n", "");
break;
case lose:
++*lose_cnt_ptr;
if (player_choice == paper)
printf("%27sYou chose paper I chose scissors. You lose.\n", "");
else if (player_choice == rock)
printf("%27sYou chose rock I chose paper. You lose.\n", "");
else if (player_choice == scissors)
printf("%27sYou chose scissors I chose rock. You lose.\n", "");
break;
case tie:
++*tie_cnt_ptr;
if (player_choice == paper)
printf("%27sYou chose paper I chose paper. We tie.\n", "");
else if (player_choice == rock)
printf("%27sYou chose rock I chose rock. We tie.\n", "");
else if (player_choice == scissors)
printf("%27sYou chose scissors I chose scissors. We tie.\n", "");
break;
default:
printf("PROGRAMMER ERROR: Unexpected result!\n\n");
exit(1);

the
p_r_s.h file:

/* The game of paper, rock, scissors. */

#include <ctype.h> /* for isspace() */
#include <stdio.h> /* for printf(), etc */
#include <stdlib.h> /* for rand() and srand() */
#include <time.h> /* for time() */

enum p_r_s {paper, rock, scissors,
game, help, instructions, quit};
enum outcome {win, lose, tie, error};

typedef enum p_r_s p_r_s;
typedef enum outcome outcome;

outcome compare(p_r_s player_choice,
p_r_s machine_choice);
void wrt_final_status(int win_cnt, int lose_cnt);
void wrt_game_status(int win_cnt, int lose_cnt, int tie_cnt);
void wrt_help(void);
void wrt_instructions(void);
void report_and_tabulate(outcome result,
int *win_cnt_ptr, int *lose_cnt_ptr, int *tie_cnt_ptr);
p_r_s selection_by_machine(void);
p_r_s selection_by_player(void);

the
compare.c file:

#include "p_r_s.h"

outcome compare(p_r_s player_choice, p_r_s machine_choice)
{
outcome result;

if (player_choice == machine_choice)
return tie;
switch (player_choice) {
case paper:
result = (machine_choice == rock) ? win : lose;
break;
case rock:
result = (machine_choice == scissors) ? win : lose;
break;
case scissors:
result = (machine_choice == paper) ? win : lose;
break;
default:
printf("\nPROGRAMMER ERROR: Unexpected choice!\n\n");
exit(1);
}
return result;

the
main.c file:

#include "p_r_s.h"

int main(void)
{
int win_cnt = 0, lose_cnt = 0, tie_cnt = 0;
outcome result;
p_r_s player_choice, machine_choice;

srand(time(NULL)); /* seed the random number generator
*/
wrt_instructions();
while ((player_choice = selection_by_player()) != quit)
switch (player_choice) {
case paper:
case rock:
case scissors:
machine_choice = selection_by_machine();
result = compare(player_choice, machine_choice);
report_and_tabulate(result, &win_cnt, &lose_cnt, &tie_cnt);
break;
case game:
wrt_game_status(win_cnt, lose_cnt, tie_cnt);
break;
case instructions:
wrt_instructions();
break;
case help:
wrt_help();
break;
default:
printf("\nPROGRAMMER ERROR: Cannot get to here!\n\n");
exit(1);
}
wrt_game_status(win_cnt, lose_cnt, tie_cnt);
wrt_final_status(win_cnt, lose_cnt);
return 0;

the
selection.c file:

#include "p_r_s.h"

p_r_s selection_by_machine(void)
{
return ((p_r_s) (rand() % 3));
}

p_r_s selection_by_player(void)
{
char c;
p_r_s player_choice;

printf("Input p, r, or s: ");
while (isspace((int) (c = getchar()))) /* skip white space
*/
;
switch (c) {
case 'p':
player_choice = paper;
break;
case 'r':
player_choice = rock;
break;
case 's':
player_choice = scissors;
break;
case 'g':
player_choice = game;
break;
case 'i':
player_choice = instructions;
break;
case 'q':
player_choice = quit;
break;
default:
player_choice = help;
break;
}
return player_choice;

and the wrt.c file:

#include "p_r_s.h"

void wrt_final_status(int win_cnt, int lose_cnt)
{
if (win_cnt > lose_cnt)
printf("CONGRATULATIONS - You won!\n\n");
else if (win_cnt == lose_cnt)
printf("A DRAW - You tied!\n\n");
else
printf("SORRY - You lost!\n\n");
}

void wrt_game_status(int win_cnt, int lose_cnt, int tie_cnt)
{
printf("\n%s\n%s%4d\n%s%4d\n%s%4d\n%s%4d\n\n",
"GAME STATUS:",
" Win: ", win_cnt,
" Lose: ", lose_cnt,
" Tie: ", tie_cnt,
" Total: ", win_cnt + lose_cnt + tie_cnt);
}

void wrt_help(void)
{
printf("\n%s\n",
"---\n"
"The following characters can be used for input:\n"
" p for paper\n"
" r for rock\n"
" s for scissors\n"
" g print the game status\n"
" h help, print this list\n"
" i reprint the instructions\n"
" q quit this game\n");
}

void wrt_instructions(void)
{
printf("\n%s\n",
"---\n"
"PAPER, ROCK, SCISSORS:\n"
" In this game p is for \"paper,\" r is for \"rock,\" and"
" s is for \"scissors.\"\n"
" Both the player and the machine\n"
" will choose one of p, r, or s."
" If the two choices are the same,\n"
" then the game is a tie. Otherwise:\n"
" \"paper covers the rock\" (a win for paper),\n"
" \"rock breaks the scissors\" (a win for rock),\n"
" \"scissors cut the paper\" (a win for scissors).\n"
"\n"
" There are other allowable inputs:\n"
" g for game status (the number of wins so far),\n"
" h for help,\n"
" i for instructions (reprint these instructions),\n"
" q for quit (to quit the game).\n"
"\n"
" This game is played repeatedly until q is entered.\n"
"\n"
" Good luck!\n");
}

Thanks in advance for any help!

T.M. Sommers

TooNaive said:
void report(outcome result, int *win_cnt_ptr, int *lose_cnt_ptr, int
*tie_cnt_ptr,
p_r_s player_choice, p_r_s machine_choice)

This is the function you wrote, ...
void report_and_tabulate(outcome result,
int *win_cnt_ptr, int *lose_cnt_ptr, int *tie_cnt_ptr);

.... but this is the function the rest of the code expects.

The function you wrote is never called, and the one that is
called does not exist.

TooNaive

Thanks T.M. for your help, but i am still getting an error when i
compile. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio.net and whenever i compile
i get this error:

report.cpp(5) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style
formal list?)

the line it references is this one:

1.#include "p_r_s.h"
2.
3.void report_and_tabulate(outcome result, int *win_cnt_ptr, int
4.*lose_cnt_ptr, int *tie_cnt_ptr);
5."This line here"
6. {
7. switch (result) {

I have tried adding more {'s, taking away {'s and even went and
re-studied the entire definition of "function headers" and have still
drawn a blank. Could it be my compiler? I know microsoft just loves
adding little bugs in all their software. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Case

TooNaive said:
[...]

Try the usual technique: strip away as much code as possible, ending
up with a very small program that stil has this problem. There's a
good chance you'll find what's wrong in the process. If not, post
the few lines you've left here.

HTH

Case

Yu SONG

TooNaive said:
[...]

It said "report.cpp(5)"...
(try making a file named "report.c")

--
Song

/* E-mail.c */
#define User "Y.Song"
#define Warwick "dcs.warwick.ac.uk"
int main() {
printf("Yu Song's E-mail: %s@%s", User, Warwick);
return 0;}

Further Info. : http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~esubbn/

Simon Massey

Try removing the ; at the end of line 4, with this it is a function
prototype and the body is not part of it.

Martin Ambuhl

TooNaive said:
Thanks T.M. for your help, but i am still getting an error when i
compile. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio.net and whenever i compile
i get this error:

report.cpp(5) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style
formal list?)

the line it references is this one:

1.#include "p_r_s.h"
2.
3.void report_and_tabulate(outcome result, int *win_cnt_ptr, int
4.*lose_cnt_ptr, int *tie_cnt_ptr);
^^^
What is this semicolon doing here?
5."This line here"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And why is this line outside the braces of the function body?
6. {
7. switch (result) {

I have tried adding more {'s, taking away {'s and even went and
re-studied the entire definition of "function headers" and have still
drawn a blank. Could it be my compiler? I know microsoft just loves
adding little bugs in all their software.

It looks like you have inserted two massive bugs into your software.

T.M. Sommers

TooNaive said:
Thanks T.M. for your help, but i am still getting an error when i
compile. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio.net and whenever i compile
i get this error:

report.cpp(5) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style
formal list?)

the line it references is this one:

1.#include "p_r_s.h"
2.
3.void report_and_tabulate(outcome result, int *win_cnt_ptr, int
4.*lose_cnt_ptr, int *tie_cnt_ptr);

Get rid of the semi-colon at the end.