Building problem

Lucas Raab

I've downloaded a set of modules and when using the MS-DOS prompt: python
setup.py build (or install) the following message appears:

error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need
to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

Has anyone else seen this problem? If you have, any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Fredrik Lundh

Lucas said:
I've downloaded a set of modules and when using the MS-DOS prompt: python
setup.py build (or install) the following message appears:

error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need
to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

Has anyone else seen this problem? If you have, any feedback would be much
appreciated.

the message means exactly what it says.

if you have version 6 of visual studio on your machine, try firing up the
studio once before running the setup.py script again.

if you don't have version 6, you either need to upgrade, find binary
versions of the modules, or get a python built with a compiler you have.

</F>