    to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

    Has anyone else seen this problem? If you have, any feedback would be much
    appreciated.

    Lucas Raab, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Lucas Raab wrote:

    > I've downloaded a set of modules and when using the MS-DOS prompt: python
    > setup.py build (or install) the following message appears:
    >
    > error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need
    > to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this problem? If you have, any feedback would be much
    > appreciated.

    the message means exactly what it says.

    if you have version 6 of visual studio on your machine, try firing up the
    studio once before running the setup.py script again.

    if you don't have version 6, you either need to upgrade, find binary
    versions of the modules, or get a python built with a compiler you have.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 13, 2003