    upgrade patch available from HP that will get this to build? Our
    technology director has ruled out gcc. Has anyone gotten this to
    build?
    Dan Cescato, Oct 3, 2003

  2. (Dan Cescato) writes:

    > When I try to build Python 2.3 on HP-UX 10.20 using their cc compiler,
    > I get a compile failure. It comes down to Python/thread_pthread.h
    > deciding that my machine is an unsupported system, as documented in
    > the README file. ("Systems defining PY_PTHREAD_D4..."). Apparently,
    > Python 2.3 doesn't like their implementation of pthreads. However, in
    > the "Platform specific notes" section, there is a note about HP-UX
    > 10.20 which makes me believe that someone has gotten it to work.
    >
    > The application we're writing in Python needs pthreads. Is there an
    > upgrade patch available from HP that will get this to build?

    Please read http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0011.html. Python 2.3 might
    work just fine on your system, however, we (actually, I) believe that
    the this specific aspect of Python is little used. So unless you act
    as described in the PEP, the existing support for the feature will be
    *removed* rather than the problem being corrected.

    So far, I had no information that it is HP-UX 10.20 which defines
    PY_PTHREAD_D4; I was believing that the code dealing with it is dead.
    Restoring the feature is trivial at the moment, but it takes a
    volunteer to actually do so.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Dan Cescato

    Dan Cescato Guest

    Actually, what sets PY_PTHREAD_D4 is a combination of the existence of
    __hpux and _DECTHREADS_ (defined in cma.h). Based on what I see in
    the PEP doc, I assume the code to support this is still in Python
    2.3.1. I was planning to comment out the #error that brings the show
    to a halt, and get on with life. As far as volunteering, let me talk
    to the boss about this. (BTW, the response I was really hoping for
    was "Just apply HP patch XXXX, and you'll be fine. Oh well...)

    Dan Cescato, Oct 3, 2003

  4. >>> Dan Cescato wrote

    > Actually, what sets PY_PTHREAD_D4 is a combination of the existence of
    > __hpux and _DECTHREADS_ (defined in cma.h). Based on what I see in
    > the PEP doc, I assume the code to support this is still in Python
    > 2.3.1. I was planning to comment out the #error that brings the show
    > to a halt, and get on with life. As far as volunteering, let me talk
    > to the boss about this. (BTW, the response I was really hoping for
    > was "Just apply HP patch XXXX, and you'll be fine. Oh well...)

    It's a big patch <wink>, but the patch called "HP/UX 11.11" builds
    clean, out of the box, on HP/UX. (Note, though, that if you're on
    Itanium, you'll need to build without optimisation - the HP compiler
    screws up the executable in a rather spectacular fashion).

    I've been using HP's "test drive" systems for this - they don't appear
    to have a HP/UX 10 system there, so I'm afraid I can't offer more
    specific help.

    --
    Anthony Baxter <>
    Anthony Baxter, Oct 4, 2003
  5. (Dan Cescato) writes:

    > Actually, what sets PY_PTHREAD_D4 is a combination of the existence of
    > __hpux and _DECTHREADS_ (defined in cma.h).

    That is a useful hint. __hpux probably should be defined on the
    system, but where does _DECTHREADS_ come from?

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Dan Cescato

    Dan Cescato Guest

    (Martin v. Löwis) wrote in message news:<-berlin.de>...
    > (Dan Cescato) writes:
    >
    > > Actually, what sets PY_PTHREAD_D4 is a combination of the existence of
    > > __hpux and _DECTHREADS_ (defined in cma.h).

    > That is a useful hint. __hpux probably should be defined on the
    > system, but where does _DECTHREADS_ come from?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    _DECTHREADS_ is #define'd in cma.h. It gets sucked in, eventually, by
    anything that gets within a country mile of threads.
    Dan Cescato, Oct 5, 2003
  7. Dan Cescato

    Dan Cescato Guest

    Anthony Baxter <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > Actually, what sets PY PTHREAD D4 is a combination of the existence of
    > > hpux and DECTHREADS (defined in cma.h). Based on what I see in
    > > the PEP doc, I assume the code to support this is still in Python
    > > 2.3.1. I was planning to comment out the #error that brings the show
    > > to a halt, and get on with life. As far as volunteering, let me talk
    > > to the boss about this. (BTW, the response I was really hoping for
    > > was "Just apply HP patch XXXX, and you'll be fine. Oh well...)

    > It's a big patch <wink>, but the patch called "HP/UX 11.11" builds
    >
    > clean, out of the box, on HP/UX. (Note, though, that if you're on
    > Itanium, you'll need to build without optimisation - the HP compiler
    > screws up the executable in a rather spectacular fashion).
    >
    > I've been using HP's "test drive" systems for this - they don't appear
    > to have a HP/UX 10 system there, so I'm afraid I can't offer more
    > specific help.

    The bummer is that I work for a small software company, and some
    customers are still on these creaky old systems. What we won't do for
    a customer whose check clears the bank...
    Dan Cescato, Oct 5, 2003

  8. >>> Dan Cescato wrote

    > > I've been using HP's "test drive" systems for this - they don't appear
    > > to have a HP/UX 10 system there, so I'm afraid I can't offer more
    > > specific help.

    > The bummer is that I work for a small software company, and some
    > customers are still on these creaky old systems. What we won't do for
    > a customer whose check clears the bank...

    I'm pretty sure none of the folks on python-dev have access to a HP/UX 10
    system. So there's three possibilities for getting this fixed:

    .. Since you have access to such a system, figure out what needs to be changed
    and supply a patch to the SF tracker
    .. Make a HP/UX 10 system available to someone who can fix the problem
    .. Convince HP to add a HP/UX 10 system to the test drive farm.

    It's virtually impossible for someone to fix this who doesn't have access
    to a system to work on the problem. I have access to only HP/UX 11 systems,
    so I can only make sure python builds out of the box on those systems. (For
    instance, I'm following up with HP on a couple of issues on the HP/UX on
    Itanium platform to get bugs on the platform fixed.)

    Anthony

    --
    Anthony Baxter <>
    Anthony Baxter, Oct 6, 2003
  9. Dan Cescato

    AK Guest

    In article <>, Anthony
    Baxter wrote:

    >> > I've been using HP's "test drive" systems for this - they don't appear
    >> > to have a HP/UX 10 system there, so I'm afraid I can't offer more
    >> > specific help.

    >> The bummer is that I work for a small software company, and some
    >> customers are still on these creaky old systems. What we won't do for
    >> a customer whose check clears the bank...

    > I'm pretty sure none of the folks on python-dev have access to a HP/UX 10
    > system. So there's three possibilities for getting this fixed:
    >
    > . Since you have access to such a system, figure out what needs to be changed
    > and supply a patch to the SF tracker
    > . Make a HP/UX 10 system available to someone who can fix the problem
    > . Convince HP to add a HP/UX 10 system to the test drive farm.
    >
    > It's virtually impossible for someone to fix this who doesn't have access
    > to a system to work on the problem. I have access to only HP/UX 11 systems,
    > so I can only make sure python builds out of the box on those systems. (For
    > instance, I'm following up with HP on a couple of issues on the HP/UX on
    > Itanium platform to get bugs on the platform fixed.)
    >

    > Anthony
    >
    > It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

    Love the quote.. where from?

    -AK
    AK, Oct 6, 2003

  10. >>> AK wrote

    > > It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

    > Love the quote.. where from?

    Bloom County.
    Anthony Baxter, Oct 6, 2003