Building Python 2.4 extensions with the Microsoft Toolkit Compiler

Mike C. Fletcher

I've put together a page describing how to build Python 2.4 extensions
with the free (as in beer, not libre) Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit
compiler. So far I've been able to build Numpy 23.1, PyOpenGL 2.0.1.07,
OpenGLContext 2.0.0b2 and mxTextTools-nr against Python 2.4a1, and they
seem to be working fine. I'm very interested in other developers who
want to try building with this combination giving feedback on what needs
to be done to make the instructions clearer and/or more comprehensive.

http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/programming/mstoolkit/

Have fun,
Mike

Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/
blog: http://zope.vex.net/~mcfletch/plumbing/

Scott David Daniels

Mike said:
I've put together a page describing how to build Python 2.4 extensions
with the free (as in beer, not libre) Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit
compiler. So far I've been able to build Numpy 23.1, PyOpenGL 2.0.1.07,
OpenGLContext 2.0.0b2 and mxTextTools-nr against Python 2.4a1, and they
seem to be working fine. I'm very interested in other developers who
want to try building with this combination giving feedback on what needs
to be done to make the instructions clearer and/or more comprehensive.

http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/programming/mstoolkit/

Have fun,
Mike

Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/
blog: http://zope.vex.net/~mcfletch/plumbing/

'twould be nice if you did a context diff, rather than a simple diff on
the page.

Scott David Daniels

Mike said:
[...]

Paul Moore

Mike C. Fletcher said:
I've put together a page describing how to build Python 2.4 extensions
with the free (as in beer, not libre) Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit
compiler. So far I've been able to build Numpy 23.1, PyOpenGL
2.0.1.07, OpenGLContext 2.0.0b2 and mxTextTools-nr against Python
2.4a1, and they seem to be working fine. I'm very interested in other
developers who want to try building with this combination giving
feedback on what needs to be done to make the instructions clearer
and/or more comprehensive.

http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/programming/mstoolkit/

Have you put the distutils patch described here onto Sourceforge?

Paul

Mike C. Fletcher

Paul Moore wrote:
Have you put the distutils patch described here onto Sourceforge?
Not yet.

AFAIK no-one else has had success with the approach, which would seem to
make including the support code in the standard library a little
premature. More, the current patch hard-codes a GUID that may change
(that is, different versions of the .NET Framework SDK may use different
GUIDs), which suggests that it's not the correct way to address the
problem of finding the SDK's installation directory.

Both of those (confirmation and discussion of that little hack) should
be discussed before integrating the code IMO.

Enjoy,
Mike

Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder