Building Python 2.4 on machines that do not support dynamic loading

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robert McLay, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Robert McLay

    Robert McLay Guest

    I have been trying to build python on Cray X1. As far as I can
    tell it does not support dynamic loading. So the question is:

    How to build 2.4 without dynamic loading?

    That is: can I build 2.4 where all the extensions are archived in
    libpython2.4.a as a static library?

    Building on the Cray X1 is slow, so I have been trying to also
    build it under Linux without dynamic loading since it
    configures/builds so much faster.

    I edited the configure script so that it doesn't know that dlopen
    works. The file "pyconfig.h" undefines HAVE_DYNAMIC_LOADING
    HAVE_LIBDL and so on. Under linux it still builds .so files
    but it gives the following message for all .so files:

    *** WARNING: importing extension "dl" failed with
    exceptions.AttributeError: 'module' object has no
    attribute 'load_dynamic'

    It seems like it is possible to build python without dynamic
    reason I need 2.4, it just not clear what the trick is.

    I have done some google group and web searching without success
    so I'm asking all you experts to shine some light in this dark
    corner.
    Robert McLay, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Robert McLay wrote:
    > I have been trying to build python on Cray X1. As far as I can
    > tell it does not support dynamic loading. So the question is:
    >
    > How to build 2.4 without dynamic loading?

    Make sure HAVE_DYNAMIC_LOADING isn't defined; configure should detect
    this automatically.

    > That is: can I build 2.4 where all the extensions are archived in
    > libpython2.4.a as a static library?

    Certainly: Edit Modules/Setup to your needs.

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Dec 4, 2005