Building Python on Solaris 10?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Judy Booth, Oct 28, 2009.

  1. Judy Booth

    Judy Booth Guest

    Can anyone point me towards some instructions for building Python on
    Solaris 10?
    We need this for some of our test scripts and so far we cannot get this
    to build.

    We have tried both Python 2.6.4 and 3.1.1 and both fail with messages
    like this:
    Include/pyport.h:685:2: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for
    platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
    *** Error code 1
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Modules/python.o'

    The configure command used is:
    ../configure --with-universal-archs=64-bit --enable-universalsdk
    LDFLAGS="-s
    -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/ssl/lib -lgcc" --prefix=/opt/python
    --prefix=${PREFIX}

    and the compiler version is gcc 3.4.3.

    A search on Google showed this up as a problem several years ago and
    suggested that there might be a problem with the way configure is working
    on Solaris.

    If anyone can help with this that would be great.

    Thanks,

    Judy
    Judy Booth, Oct 28, 2009

  2. Judy Booth

    ryles Guest

    On Oct 28, 3:46 pm, Judy Booth <> wrote:
    > Can anyone point me towards some instructions for building Python on
    > Solaris 10?
    > We need this for some of our test scripts and so far we cannot get this
    > to build.
    >
    > We have tried both Python 2.6.4 and 3.1.1 and both fail with messages
    > like this:
    > Include/pyport.h:685:2: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for
    > platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
    > *** Error code 1
    > make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Modules/python.o'
    >
    > The configure command used is:
    > ./configure --with-universal-archs=64-bit --enable-universalsdk
    > LDFLAGS="-s
    > -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/ssl/lib -lgcc" --prefix=/opt/python
    > --prefix=${PREFIX}
    >
    > and the compiler version is gcc 3.4.3.
    >
    > A search on Google showed this up as a problem several years ago and
    > suggested that there might be a problem with the way configure is working
    > on Solaris.
    >
    > If anyone can help with this that would be great.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Judy

    We never heard back from the OP of this thread, but you might try
    building with cc instead of gcc:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/bf109ba2c86c3715
    ryles, Oct 29, 2009

  3. Judy Booth

    Judy Booth Guest

    "M.-A. Lemburg" <> wrote in

    > Why are you building with "--with-universal-archs=64-bit
    > --enable-universalsdk" on Solaris ?
    >
    > Those options should only be used for Mac OS X.
    >
    > Python currently does not support building universal binaries
    > on Solaris.
    >
    > If you're still having problems, you might want to look at this
    > patch:
    >
    > http://bugs.python.org/issue1628484
    >
    > If it works for you, please add a comment.

    I can't answer the question about univeral binaries because I'm not
    building it myself. As a software developer I can build our software
    releases on the Solaris boxes but I have to ask one of the sysadmins to
    install new software on there and the one tring to install Python for us
    ran into problems.

    Thanks for the comments - I will take a look at that patch and see if it
    helps. However, from the sound of it I think the next step may be for me
    to either sit with him or build it myself and then tell him what he needs
    to do.

    Whatever we end up doing I will try to post an update on here about how
    we resolve this.

    Thanks,

    Judy
    Judy Booth, Oct 29, 2009